Diagnosing The Problem.. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Diagnosing The Problem..

So, I've come to a point to where I'd like to hear some other input.

05 rc51 with 35k, pretty good upkeep, some "interesting" wiring jobs throughout.

Im the 3rd owner and ive had it for a week and she died on me.

While in mid-ride 2nd gear 5 grand, she sputtered out and died, was able to pop start it to get her home and rode once more to work, store, and back, but hasn't been able to start up since.

So after some reaserch on this forum and digging through the manual, and the urge to take it apart to get a good idea of what the condition under the plastics were, I decided to buy a FPR and a fuel filter without diagnosing the issue first. $100 elimination of a potential problem.

Turns out the FPR didn't leak but replaced it anyway as I believe it was factory. And installed the fuel filter. Didn't bleed the tank and clean the lines yet, but that's next.

I have the bike almost completely dissasembled as I will post in a picture.
And the next step is checking spark.
Also upon opening the airbox I noticed one of the air filters was "crushed" slightly and filthy on the inside. Will replace for peace of mind when finances allow.

I documented the process on video and intend to put on youtube hopefully with a [SOLVED] ending. If not also for educational purposes.

Assuming the previous owner told me the truth and the sparks were replaced during a pre sale tune-up, and they are not the issue, then I will have had crossed out 2 of the 3 factors that require an engine to run. Leaving me with combustion. The one day I had taken it to a dealer one of the techs had pointed out she was running a little rough, (valve adjustment) and also informed me that the symptoms I had described could be the result of my valves not getting proper clearance. I have to keep in mind that I live in phoenix and it is summer and V-twins run hot enough as is. So this is a possibility although an expensive procedure that might not even be the case.

Anyway, I thought I'd tell my life story to put all the cards on the table in hopes someone may recognize anything that might help my situation.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Do you have a PC III attached? Check your grounds throughout the bike too

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Get a cheap can of starting fluid and give it a squirt. If the bike will run on the fluid, you have a fuel delivery problem. If it will not run on fluid, you have an ignition problem.

Report back with your results.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Do you have a PC III attached? Check your grounds throughout the bike too
I don't have a PC installed. And I did a pretty thorough check on the wiring (not very electrical savvy though) and the battery is new and fully charged (but at a 45 degree angle because of the funny wiring business) and she cranks over no problem, sound like shes choking on not enough fuel though.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92VFR View Post
Get a cheap can of starting fluid and give it a squirt. If the bike will run on the fluid, you have a fuel delivery problem. If it will not run on fluid, you have an ignition problem.

Report back with your results.

Will give that an attempt and will post more pics tonight.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

So im just posting these, but I realized its not a fueling problem. I have no spark from my plugs and im attempting to remove my coil. Unfortunately I just realized the service manual I d/led was of 00-02, so not the right dissasembly procedures. Going to find my model and go from here.

To be continued...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1378084232844.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	26737   Click image for larger version

Name:	1378084250809.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	26745   Click image for larger version

Name:	1378084260495.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	26753  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

So upon removing the coil (not the easiest job) and testing the resistance, it's reading .6 ohms which I imagine is no where near the reading it should be. I can't find specs on what the coil specific to my bike should be, and the dealership is closed today and labor day tomorrow. Sooo... yea. It's very possible its my coil because the spark plugs aren't getting any current through it.

It's getting dark and as you can tell I don't have a garage so I will be back in a couple of days...

Thanks for the replies.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1378087303102.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	26761  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
An ignition coil is essentially a step-up transformer.
So the low voltage/high current primary side won't have much resistance since it has fewer windings than the low current/high voltage secondary side.

Misfires can come for internal coil windings breakdown (usually when the coil gets warmed up), broken conductor in the plug wire, broken insulation of the plug wire causing shorts to chassis ground, loose fitting plug cap, etc.
If both cylinders are affected, it could possible be a failing pulse generator sensor, or the ignition converter (CDI box).
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

So after checking/cleaning all connections and "cleaning" out the gas tank, I've figured out it was more than likely a fuel delivery issue and what also may be contributing, very dirty K&N air filters. Running a fresh tank with the new components and a shot of starter fluid, she started right up. Tomorrow I will be getting OEM filters, with the hope of a solved problem. (These are the conditions the filters were in)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1378184112599.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	26970   Click image for larger version

Name:	1378184132213.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	26978  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Also two dead bee's fell out of one of the filters lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode