Rained n my bike, now running lights don't work. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Rained n my bike, now running lights don't work.

Took my bike over my GFs house to put a new chain on. Rained on me as I finished up so I left the bike out and we went to get dinner. Come back and start riding home when I realized that 3 of the 4 running / marker lights are not illuminated. However, all lights work when I hit the turn signals.

I'm trying to figure out where the light circuit runs through so I can start checking the wiring to get these things working like they are supposed to. I am hoping that the lights just start working since I rode home and into the garage to dry out. Still, it's rather odd that the lights work with the turn signal but not normal operation. Even stranger is that 1 still works regular.

I've consulted a repair manual I downloaded on line for the electrical schematic but the detail is lacking and I cannot read some of the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Are you running stock turn signals? If so, these are dual element bulbs that do go bad from time to time...

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Are you sure its not just a burned out bulb. I'm pretty sure each of those bulbs run 2 filaments. One for when its just on and then a brighter filament for signaling. Then again I could be wrong. I'm in bed and don't feel like getting up to look. Ok so I got up and took the lenses off of mine. I have a 2000 with stock lighting and the front signal bulbs have dual filaments. steady on when the bike is on and then the other filament lights up when signaling. In the back. the signal lights have one filament and only light when signaling. the brake lights are on steady with power on and get bright when the brake is applied. So in the rear if yours has an undertail or modified setup it could be wired for running, braking and for signaling so I would start with swapping the bulb from one side to the other. Unless you have the LED setup or something like that then yeah it could be wiring. Anyway just figured I'd help with the simplest thing first. hope its something simple.

Colt
00 RC51 #1119
97 CBR F3

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, they are the stock signals. I took the rear cover off and saw only the one filament and assumed it was the same for the front. I'll have to pull the one in front that won't light in the morning and see if they are dual filament. I do know they all light when the flasher is going. For some reason I assumed all 4 are always on when the bike is. I'll feel much better if only the fronts are supposed to be lit as that means only one bulb and it would be likely to be just burnt out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
You really couldn't sleep because of this...posting at 3:40am

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

LOL. Well I went back out and checked the front signal. Bulb good so I reached in and started wiggling the connector harness where the pigtail socket is. Light came on. I wiggles more and the light would go out and come on again, so I know the issue is with the connector. I pulled it apart and bought some dialectic connector grease and will see if that solves the issue. May take some pliers and see if I can tighten up the connectors some to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode