1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mxer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Fuel cut-off relay

So right now my RC won't start. I'm not getting the normal "hum" when I turn the key, and from what I understand...that sound is the fuel pump priming? The fuel pump not priming could be caused by a bad relay correct?

I rode the RC a little today, came back to the garage and began disconnecting lights to prep for a Track Day next Sat. Disconnected all my lights, turned the key...then I noticed no priming. Worked, then didn't work. I get a click from the BANK ANGLE SENSOR RELAY, but is the FUEL CUT-OFF RELAY supposed to click too?

I'm am about to order a new relay, but I want to make sure that the relay for the FUEL CUT-OFF, and BANK ANGLE SENSOR relays are the same? I am going to order two (just to have a spare, or replace the BANK ANGLE SENSOR).

Also, where is the fastest place to order to get the part before Friday? Motosport.com won't ship until Sept 10th, and I've already paid my registration fee to track ride on Sept 8th...any suggestions to get the part fast?

Thanks gents, hopefully I can get the bike up and running by the weekend so I can enjoy a track day and not lose my entry fee.

William

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Try switching the relay for your Headlight into either Fuel or Bank Relay. Same thing happend to me recently. Turned out to be the Bank relay was bad. They're connected.
Your Headlight relay is tucked inside the front fairing left side.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Try switching the relay for your Headlight into either Fuel or Bank Relay. Same thing happend to me recently. Turned out to be the Bank relay was bad. They're connected.
Your Headlight relay is tucked inside the front fairing left side.
And it LIVES!!! Jondog9, if you were here I'd give you a big (no homo) hug! Fired right up. So I was right in thinking it was the relay, but when I look at the wiring diagram I didn't even notice that the headlight relay was the same. Thanks for the advice.

I'll order a couple of relays (hopefully I can get them before the track).

Again, works, fired up, and thanks for the direction.

Track Day here we come...WooWoo!!!

2001 SP1 (sold)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)

Semper Fidelis

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks again JonDog9 for the quick fix, had a great time at the track. I would post some additional pictures, but I don't want to get in trouble with the people from picsofyou.com...haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RC51 Arrival.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	30410  

2001 SP1 (sold)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)

Semper Fidelis
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Anytime mate! That's what this forum is all about. Madbuyer and SubSailor saved me one evening at the start of a small group ride that was about 300 miles. I had the info I needed within an hour. Can't say it's always like that, but sometimes...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My 2000RC51 started misfiring on the track and had to pull off. The problem was intermittent so started checking wiring pushing wire around and found I could cause the fuel cut off relay to come on and off depending which way I pushed the harness. I discovered the black and white wire from the the relay where it splices into the ECM module via a blue wire clamp was loose and shorting out! The module wire was also nearly worn through by the loose clamp. I spliced in a new wire and soldered everything in, now all good. looking at the issue I believe the module had vibrated forward pushing and putting pressure on the wire harness. I have since reinsulated the ECM made sure other wiring was not pinched. Hope this helps someone.
jondog9 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode