Tach cluster not working... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tach cluster not working...

Hello all...

So all was well, and then today on my way home i leaned into a corner and *bam* all of a sudden my entire cluster just turns off... I stopped for gas and checked the front connectors... all plugged in... checked again when I got home...

The odd thing is, I flipped my high beam on when I got on a backroad and the indicator light for the high came on... also when i hit my signals the turn indicator light blinked.... but i have no neutral light, temp light, fuel light, nothing else... all blank... no backlight, nothing.

Has anyone else ever had a display bite the dust? is this what happened?

What about any know wires to short or lose ground?

all help appreciated. thanks guys!

2006 GSX-R600
1981 KZ440 LTD
1983 KZ440 LTD flat tracker
1992 CB750 Nighthawk
2000 Monster 900 ie
2000 CBR 929RR
2005 RC51 SP2 black/grey NFS ever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
The wires in or around the steering head are the ones that move the most. Just because it has a cover over the wire doesn't mean the wires are in good condition. I'd pull the nose off and check everything thoroughly.

Take a tube of dielectric grease with you to clean up the terminals too, just a little pm work since you would have the nose off. (Nose = Upper fairing to some of you folks.)

The fastest way to destroy a cluster is to repeated expose it to rushes of current, which is what the short is doing each time she comes on.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

That's going to be my next step... it's aggravating though.. I was planning on riding a bit now that fall is hitting (it's been a hot summer in nashville) but i dont wanna put miles on the back and the cluster not working... not to mention Idk where my revs are, my speed, nor when I'm low on fuel now... I got her as a project to build, and wanted to enjoy her a bit before it got cold and I tore her down... looks like I may be missing this fall's riding season as if I start disassembling things I may not stop!

2006 GSX-R600
1981 KZ440 LTD
1992 CB750 Nighthawk
2000 Monster 900 ie
2000 CBR 929RR

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing22 View Post
That's going to be my next step... it's aggravating though.. I was planning on riding a bit now that fall is hitting (it's been a hot summer in nashville) but i dont wanna put miles on the back and the cluster not working... not to mention Idk where my revs are, my speed, nor when I'm low on fuel now... I got her as a project to build, and wanted to enjoy her a bit before it got cold and I tore her down... looks like I may be missing this fall's riding season as if I start disassembling things I may not stop!
I'm with you on the riding. The weather in Indy is absolutely beautiful right now. Winter time (Let me get my soap box real quick) is when I do crazy maintenance on my bike so I have relatively no issues during riding season.

I believe you are a newer owner so, now is the time to get your "to do list" prepared.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Make sure you didn't blow 10A Fuse E in the fuse box, which is for meter panel, meter backlight illumination, and tail light.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

SubSailor... thanks! that's exactly what it was... I didn't have any 10a bus fuses, so i put in a 15a... I know its not a good idea, it was just to make sure it was just the fuse as the extra 10A in the box was no good. corroded. Now I can ride the bike a little, though I'm going to keep a close eye on things, as obviously something went wrong to cause the blown fuse in the first place. That in mind, I put the 15a fuse in the ignition spot, and the 10a out of the ignition in the meter spot, until I can get some more fuses, this way, I'm not subjecting whatever is drawing the amperes to an opportunity to fry something rather than pop a fuse... needless to say, all of the wiring will be redone when I tear the bike apart this winter.

2006 GSX-R600
1981 KZ440 LTD
1992 CB750 Nighthawk
2000 Monster 900 ie
2000 CBR 929RR
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Odd, blown fuse? Wiring inspection time. For some reason I have been seeing a lot of wiring troubles on this forum.

Last edited by madbuyer; 09-14-2013 at 07:44 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 12:02 AM

If I go for a ride then shut my bike off for while then start my bike the mileage is showing Insted of temp . It switched it self . Have you guys seen that before ?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrc51 View Post
If I go for a ride then shut my bike off for while then start my bike the mileage is showing Insted of temp . It switched it self . Have you guys seen that before ?
is the trip meter reset? You could have a bad ground somewhere. like above, do an inspection of your wiring. I've had speedometer issues that seem to have sorted itself out, but the next time I take all the fairings off, i am tracing the wiring and replacing some connectors. (also have a bad left running light connector)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrc51 View Post
If the trip meter also resets, the topic has been covered in another thread, bad ground, bad fuse, bad wire, bad battery, search for it.

James

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode