The charging system should never exceed 15.5 volts!!
If your system is at 16 volts, don't ride the bike until you get the problem fixed.
With a lead-acid battery, the risk is the battery can get overcharged and boil the electrolyte and build internal pressure inside the battery.
This can potentially cause the battery to explode.
I have a buddy who had this happen on his Suzuki while on a trip.
He had no idea his rectifier/regulator had malfunctioned until the battery exploded, and not only dumped acid on everything, the power surge destroyed anything and everything electrical and electronic.
On a lithium battery, over-charging could potentially not only cause the battery to explode, but also catch fire, along with the bike.
A few months ago, Cal Crutchlow's pit garage caught fire.
The cause was found to be the bike's battery powered starter unit, which used lithium batteries that were damaged somehow.
Last edited by SubSailor; 09-15-2013 at 08:57 PM.