Help debugging my RC's shifting problem - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help debugging my RC's shifting problem

Hi Everyone,

My RC has recently developed a problem shifting. The shifter will not return to the neutral (center) position after shifting up. If I delicately shift, I can get it to return to the neutral position, but not with my normal shift force. It only does this upshifting. Down shifting works fine, always returning to the neutral position.

Thoughts? I appreciate any advice.

2004 RC51, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard, 1969 Honda CD175K Touring Edition, 2012 Honda CR450F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zettaracing View Post
Hi Everyone,

My RC has recently developed a problem shifting. The shifter will not return to the neutral (center) position after shifting up. If I delicately shift, I can get it to return to the neutral position, but not with my normal shift force. It only does this upshifting. Down shifting works fine, always returning to the neutral position.

Thoughts? I appreciate any advice.
Change your oil and see if it goes away.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Might just need an adjustment. Has the bike been dropped on left side? Mileage on bike? Mileage on oil? What are you running for oil? More info = more help

|--Honda Racing----| | | '|";,__.
|_..._...__________| |_|_|.....,]
"(@)'(@)""""*|(@)(@)*****(@)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Ya, I'd say bent if it does that behaviour by hand off the bike. If it is only when riding then likely the position is too low and you aren't clearing your foot between shifts from under the shifter. I had that happen when I installed my aftermarket rearsets.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the long delay in responding.
The bike has had a recent oil change. Mobil 1 synthetic. New filter, too. Shifting maybe got a little better.
Bike has Sato rearsets. Worked before, but adjustment could have possibly changed due to riding.
Bike wa down t Laguna Seca in the corkscrew, but on the oher side of the bike. That being said, that is the approimate time frame for the issue as the bike was not ridden much after that, until now. Rearset seems to have good play in the shifter.

2004 RC51, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard, 1969 Honda CD175K Touring Edition, 2012 Honda CR450F
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 03:24 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I would take the rearset and linkage apart and clean/grease all the pivot points. If that does not work, put the OEM rearset back on and see if that changes it. This will isolate the problem to be either the rear set/linkage or internal engine problem.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 04:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Is your clutch adjusted so there's maximum disengagement? If there is a little bit of drag - even small, this can also make it hard to find neutral sometimes.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:24 AM

Has it ever been down? Have you answered question of whether or not you have aftermarket rwarsets? Mine got slightly bent on a lowside and rubbed jhst enough to catch.

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
The bike has had a recent oil change. Mobil 1 synthetic. New filter, too. Shifting maybe got a little better.
Bike has Sato rearsets. Worked before, but adjustment could have possibly changed due to riding.
Bike wa down t Laguna Seca in the corkscrew, but on the oher side of the bike. That being said, that is the approimate time frame for the issue as the bike was not ridden much after that, until now. Rearset seems to have good play in the shifter.
You never answered my first note in my post. Does the bike shift up fine when you do it manually with your hand?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Align your heim joints so they are parallel and report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode