White Smoke & Oil Out of the Exhaust - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation White Smoke & Oil Out of the Exhaust

Hi.
I purchased a 2003 RC51 back in March,2013.
At the time of purchase the bike was fine without any issues.
After it spent 5 months on the boat before it get to me. The first time I started the engine when the bike got to temperature it start smocking and white smoke.
I believe it's burnig oil, because every 300 Km it burns 1Liter of engine oil
What is the problem? I need help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 06:26 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Get a leakdown test done to find out if it's piston rings or valves - then have the remedial work done:

Assuming it's worn piston rings -
If you're in the US then you might want to contact Hord Racing about an engine rebuild / refresh. Alternatively find a good SP2 engine and switch for your's.
SP1 engines have different exhaust ports and intakes, etc. so you would really need an SP2 engine.

www.rc51parts.com has them. If you're not in the US then obviously you'll need to look for other sources. Hope this helps.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

I can only rely on myself and my passion for motorcycles on this part of the world. Nobody knows how to deal with sportbikes. I have the maintenance manual for the RVT 2000-2002 Models.
Last week I order the piston rings and valve seals.
I was told by a mechanic that these 2 parts are the main causes of white smoke and oil buring for engines,. The guy is a good car mechanic, he will be assisting me to replace the piston rings and valves seals.
I'm really worried not to mess up.
Note: At the time of purchse my friend in the USA did a comprenssion test and rode it for hours and everything was great on the bike.

Do you think the fact that the bike wasn't ridden 5 months could have caused the issue?

What advices do you want to give me if I want to succeed and make my bike come back like it was new?

Note: There is no leak down test instrument in the country I live. One thing is sure though, no matter how have I pull the front end on the bike never come up, with I know is not normal. My 2oo7 CBR 600 RR front end lifts up at 11,000 RPM.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Does it smoke all the time or only after slowing down?
If its smokes all the time, then it's probably rings.
If it smokes mostly after slowing down, then it could be the valve stem seals.

These bikes have a front weight bias plus the engine alone weighs 160 lbs dry.
Also, if the bike has the stock 16/40 final ratio, that is a very tall ratio for the bike as well.
Most (including myself) have found a 15/41 or 42 final ratio allows the engine to operate much better.
So they don't lift the front as easily as other bikes.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
If you didn't pickle the engine before or after it took a 5 month ride in saltwater I will bet the cylinders rusted
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
OP, what country are you in exactly?

There's gotta be some type of automotive/cycle parts stores or a dealer/shop that have access to a compression / leakdown tester, no? I'm sure a (reputable) local mechanic should have one in their tool chest.

Just a suggestion...

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I don't have anything to add, except that I find this an interesting thread.

Good luck with your repairs Vtwinman, and welcome to the forum.
There's some highly intelligent and experienced members here to help you through it.

Start a thread of your rebuild, and take pictures along the way. That'll get you forum cred!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutt View Post
If you didn't pickle the engine before or after it took a 5 month ride in saltwater I will bet the cylinders rusted
^This....salt air loves to eat aluminium, especially unprotect aluminium.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Here's how to do a leakdown test:

You can make the gauge by taking out the valve on a compression tester and putting together the relevant fittings. You don't need a stethoscope, just a thin rubber tube on the end of a hollow dowel will suffice. Not particularly expensive or technical to do - and you'll know much better where the wear on your engine is.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Banned

I can attest that a leak down is the only proper way to inspect an engine without disassembly. A compression test will make a so-so motor test better than it actually is.
While a leak down will pinpoint where the culprit is.

If you don't do this basic test you will just be running around in the dark and that usually leads to wasted money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode