Need Signal help - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need Signal help

Alright guys, new here. Got the RC51 home today. It had NO front signals at all. It had an undertail LED kit installed already. Installed the front flush signals I got from RC-Devil and got them working. Right now everything works exactly as it should. Switch left all blinks left, switch right all blinks right, push center and all are dim steady for running lights. Only issue is the instrument cluster light never goes out or changes, just stays lit amber. Once again, all of the switch activations work great. Any ides of where to start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 11:22 PM

Hmm, try pulling the flasher relay, just disconnect the wiring clip and see if it goes out, with the LED lights thee might be an issue with the original relay.
Possible a feed is coming back from one of the daytime running lights front LEDs you could eliminate this (depending how you connected them) Disconnect them one at a time to see if that is the source... Electrics difficult to diagnose remote.
But if this does not work disconnect eveything front and rear then connect back one bit at a time, to see which component is giving the volts to the cluster.
Good luck

---------------------------
Recent previous 2 wheel steeds:
1999 Triumph Daytona - miss the triple.
2003 VFR VTEC....hmmm
1999 VFR - Proper V4, no VTEC!

Current garage:

RC51 -SP2 -2003, learning more and more about it!...... FAST!

Mustang Mach 1 2003 - also as now in UK ..... two 'dieselly' things, 'cos its sensible, both are Volvo's - just to embarrass the kids!

Last edited by Johnski; 10-27-2013 at 11:26 PM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Thank you sir. Did exactly what you suggested up front, but have not in the rear. Where is the flasher relay located? Seems like if it was the flasher it would not flash at all...but that is coming from 1967 VW beetle knowledge!

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wademcgee View Post
Thank you sir. Did exactly what you suggested up front, but have not in the rear. Where is the flasher relay located? Seems like if it was the flasher it would not flash at all...but that is coming from 1967 VW beetle knowledge!
Flasher relay is located in the tail of the bike. Your blinkers might also be blinking a bit faster than normal due to not having the LED flasher relay. New relay is $30ish.

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 06:59 AM

Wadmaemgee, yup its a small black cube rubber mounted on outside of the frame through the tail cover, about half way along the tail aperture, next to the rectifier on the LH side. The one on the inside of the rail is the tip sensor, disconnectthat and the bike probably wont run.
i would send piccy but my RC is in the shop right now for suspension work, but I would advise trying disconnecting the rear running lights/side lights too, as a steady instrument light may indicate a permanent feed possibly caused by having a running light crossed somehow with one of your indicator feeds.

The reason I suggest the relay, as weyrauch, is putting turn signals from filament bulbs to LEDS can have funny effects due to incorrect loading on the OEM relay. elsewhere on here there is a link for a replacement solid state one, which I fitted to mine about three weeks ago to cure the rapid blink rate, $24 shipped. (Ledcustom).

Apologies for basics, but remote diags are difficult. Did this constant light occur after your fixing the previuos owners work or was it present on purchase whith the front turn signals missing? If the former I would suspect the undertail installation wiring may have a turn signal/ running light possibly earth return wrong. Only way to know is to disconnect there to see if it goes. A proper aftermarket modification ( tail) should have 'connectors' to allow body work removal, so it should be easy to disconnect for testing.

Elsewhere in forum is a pdf manual, within is a cct diagram, I have a hard copy and happy to fax/ scan the relevant page to you, then you could check the wires are as they should be.
If so I can do tonight, just off to work. Good Luck - john.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weyrauchrc51 View Post
Flasher relay is located in the tail of the bike. Your blinkers might also be blinking a bit faster than normal due to not having the LED flasher relay. New relay is $30ish.
Depending if you have a SP1 or SP2 the blinker relay location varies, but on my SP1 it's located just in front of the OEM rear brake lights. Cycle Gear sells OEM replacement Relays that work great with either bulbs or LED's. I spent about $20.

As far as your blinker indicator staying lit, I have nothing. Sorry. Obviously it's getting power when it shouldn't...?...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Depending if you have a SP1 or SP2 the blinker relay location varies, but on my SP1 it's located just in front of the OEM rear brake lights. Cycle Gear sells OEM replacement Relays that work great with either bulbs or LED's. I spent about $20.

As far as your blinker indicator staying lit, I have nothing. Sorry. Obviously it's getting power when it shouldn't...?...
Correct, but both SP1 and SP2 should have the relays located in the tail correct? Unless the previous owner relocated it. For the SP1, flasher relay should be located at the rear of the tail, in between the two brake light bulbs. For the SP2, should be mounted on the left side of the tail, on the outside of the subframe. Then again I could be completely wrong. 19-9, 19-23 in the service manual shows a rough picture of the two different locations.

20-1, 20-2 of the service manual also shows all the wiring diagrams.

Hope you get it sorted out.

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 10:26 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by weyrauchrc51 View Post
Correct, but both SP1 and SP2 should have the relays located in the tail correct? Unless the previous owner relocated it. For the SP1, flasher relay should be located at the rear of the tail, in between the two brake light bulbs. For the SP2, should be mounted on the left side of the tail, on the outside of the subframe. Then again I could be completely wrong. 19-9, 19-23 in the service manual shows a rough picture of the two different locations.

20-1, 20-2 of the service manual also shows all the wiring diagrams.

Hope you get it sorted out.
Weyrauch is correct the sp1 sp2 differ, the 1's is in the rear of the tail, middle one of three by the rear lights, my own (apologies) is Sp2 which is mounted on outside of rear frame rail right next to the rectifier......diagrams on 1-35, 1-36 have clearer drawings, not pictures, for bits locations, Weyrauch do you know the pdf link for the manual ?

Id bet my socks on being incorrect rear unit wiring, especially if it has the combined flash, and tail light as some tail tidies have ........ Does it have connectors or has it been soldered up?

2003 VFR VTEC....hmmm

Current garage:

Mustang Mach 1 2003 - also as now in UK ..... two 'dieselly' things, 'cos its sensible, both are Volvo's - just to embarrass the kids!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
The fecking wiring is mashed.....sort it our and the craziness stops.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
The fecking wiring is mashed.....sort it our and the craziness stops.
LOL thats the direct terminology for it! .

Get hold of the workshop diag, disconnect all the rear and start again. And no matter what blame the PO - previous owner !

2003 VFR VTEC....hmmm

Current garage:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode