Bike won't start - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, CA
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike won't start

Bike was running, as exiting the freeway the oil light came on and the bike died. Oil level is fine, when trying to start, the starter and the fuel pump engage, it sounds like it wants to start but there is no ignition. I smelled fuel so I am looking at these possibilities:
1. Bad fuel. Will spray starter fluid in the front intake to check.
2. Plugs not sparking. Will use an 'inline ignition spark tester'.

I wanted to know if there is a kill switch associated the oil sensor, that would engage to protect the engine. Does the fact of the oil light coming on play into this at this point yet?

This is what my brother told me.
"I was riding at about 65 miles an hour when the oil light came on. A few seconds later the bike's engine cut off. Oil light stayed on. It did not blink/flash off and on."

Last edited by coastriderII; 11-19-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Update info
coastriderII is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
JusAnadaMexican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Is there a code that its giving? do you have a service manual or access to one, if no use the search bar here for the service manual, It's floating around here somewhere or PM me your email and I can Email it to you....

2001 rc51 upgraded

1999 vtr 1000 "superhawk" sold

2006 650R Ninja sold
JusAnadaMexican is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, CA
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusAnadaMexican View Post
Is there a code that its giving? do you have a service manual or access to one, if no use the search bar here for the service manual, It's floating around here somewhere or PM me your email and I can Email it to you....
How do I find out if its throwing a code?
coastriderII is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, CA
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusAnadaMexican View Post
Is there a code that its giving? do you have a service manual or access to one, if no use the search bar here for the service manual, It's floating around here somewhere or PM me your email and I can Email it to you....
Can you PM me? I can't send PMs yet. Post count isn't high enough yet.
coastriderII is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
JusAnadaMexican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
FI light blinks in a pattern, http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service go to this site for the service manual

2001 rc51 upgraded

1999 vtr 1000 "superhawk" sold

2006 650R Ninja sold
JusAnadaMexican is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Moderator
 
SubSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 6,461
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastriderII View Post
Bike was running, as exiting the freeway the oil light came on and the bike died. Oil level is fine, when trying to start, the starter and the fuel pump engage, it sounds like it wants to start but there is no ignition. I smelled fuel so I am looking at these possibilities:
1. Bad fuel. Will spray starter fluid in the front intake to check.
2. Plugs not sparking. Will use an 'inline ignition spark tester'.

I wanted to know if there is a kill switch associated the oil sensor, that would engage to protect the engine. Does the fact of the oil light coming on play into this at this point yet?

This is what my brother told me.
"I was riding at about 65 miles an hour when the oil light came on. A few seconds later the bike's engine cut off. Oil light stayed on. It did not blink/flash off and on."
There's no systematic shutoff due to low/no oil. Only the oil pressure indicator lights to alert you to the condition.

What does the oil level window show?

With the engine stopped for a long time, the level will show higher than normal as usually the engine is run for a few minutes, then stopped for a couple of minutes prior to checking the level in the window.

If the oil level is below the Low mark in the window, then it could be near or at the oil pickup level.

Last edited by SubSailor; 11-19-2013 at 07:25 PM.
SubSailor is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Moderator
 
SubSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 6,461
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusAnadaMexican View Post
FI light blinks in a pattern, http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service go to this site for the service manual
Remember, the ECU stores all the fault codes that occur.

Once a problem is found and corrected, it's a good thing to clear all the old stored faults, or else you could get side-tracked by an irrelevant fault code that's stored.
SubSailor is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richmond, CA
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Remember, the ECU stores all the fault codes that occur.

Once a problem is found and corrected, it's a good thing to clear all the old stored faults, or else you could get side-tracked by an irrelevant fault code that's stored.
I followed these procedures
https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/arc...php/t-911.html

and the FI light stayed solid the entire time. I repeated it about 6 times with the same results. Is it possible that I'm not jumping it correctly?
coastriderII is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Moderator
 
SubSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 6,461
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
On an SP2, the green service connector is near the battery box.
It is a two-pole connector.
Jumper the two contacts and switch the ignition to ON (no need to start the engine).

According to the service manual, a solid lit FI light is either a) a short in the service connector, or b) faulty ECM (although the engine will run normally).

Did you have any electrical changes made recently?
Have you raised and lowered the fuel tank recently as well?

Since the main wiring harness runs over the rear frame section near the fuel tank rear seam edge, there's a known problem of the rear harness getting caught under the fuel tank seam, causing bruising with possible breaks or shorts of wires in the harness.
SubSailor is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Senior Member
 
extrapolator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 2,456
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
On an SP2, the green service connector is near the battery box.
It is a two-pole connector.
Jumper the two contacts and switch the ignition to ON (no need to start the engine).

According to the service manual, a solid lit FI light is either a) a short in the service connector, or b) faulty ECM (although the engine will run normally).

Did you have any electrical changes made recently?
Have you raised and lowered the fuel tank recently as well?

Since the main wiring harness runs over the rear frame section near the fuel tank rear seam edge, there's a known problem of the rear harness getting caught under the fuel tank seam, causing bruising with possible breaks or shorts of wires in the harness.
Yeah, very tight in that area, which I discovered when installing my power commander.
extrapolator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome