Completely stripped.... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Completely stripped....

Over the summer I laid my Rc down unfortunately, the crash made a whole in my oil pan. I now have an Oil pan to replace it with, the only problem I am having right now is this stupid 8mm OEM Screw!!!!

Its completely stripped as you can see, I tried drilling into it so I could remove it with an extractor but the drill bit broke with the bit inside the screw.... The head of it was cut into it so I could unscrew it with a flat screw driver but that didn't work either. Best way to remove this?

Apologies if this is not the right thread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Banned

Heat...take a propane torch heat up the aluminum around the bolt, have some vice grips handy.
What I've done is heat the aluminum surrounding the offending bolt, yours is nice as there is still bolt to grip with a set of vice grips.

Get it nice and hot and try to turn it slowly to try to break the grip...but you could have saved yourself some headache by using a hand impacted driver.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Heat...take a propane torch heat up the aluminum around the bolt, have some vice grips handy.
What I've done is heat the aluminum surrounding the offending bolt, yours is nice as there is still bolt to grip with a set of vice grips.

Get it nice and hot and try to turn it slowly to try to break the grip...but you could have saved yourself some headache by using a hand impacted driver.
There is barely anything to grip unfortunately so this might be my last option I guess. Heat the screw itself or the oil pan?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

Heat the pan...I've also used water to cool the bolt. It shrinks and the aluminum is expanded and you cross your fingers and hope it turns.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Take a hammer and a punch about the diameter of the bolt head and give it a good whack before you heat it.

If you have a dremel you can cut a slot into it too and use a screw driver to back it out.

Good Luck.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Take a hammer and a punch about the diameter of the bolt head and give it a good whack before you heat it.

If you have a dremel you can cut a slot into it too and use a screw driver to back it out.

Good Luck.
My broken drill bit is stuck in the screw and there is no way to get the drill bit out... I'm just going to heat the oil pan and screw before and pray that the vice grips don't break what's left of the screw!

I just want to swap oil pans but this stupid screw is stubborn 😩

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram51 View Post
My broken drill bit is stuck in the screw and there is no way to get the drill bit out... I'm just going to heat the oil pan and screw before and pray that the vice grips don't break what's left of the screw!

I just want to swap oil pans but this stupid screw is stubborn ��

I read that.....carbide cutting tools are your friend.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram51 View Post

I just want to swap oil pans but this stupid screw is stubborn ��

It had better not be a normal drill bit as that would not be good. You want to use a left hand drill bit. There is a great sticky thread in the how-to sub-forum that is all about great tools to use on the RC51. Read it.

At this point, if the broken bit is stuck you should be able to reverse the drill and clamp down on what is available on the broken bit, use a plug in drill as it is much higher torque than most battery drills, heat the pan, and go for it. If the bit spins in the drill, file the expose part of the bit down so it is not round and clamp that drill onto it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Looks like someone started off with the wrong tool for the job & it got progressively worse from there. Did you use a hex shaped socket, or an old open ended wrench?

I'd have cut a slot in the bolt with a suitable grinding wheel then put a flat screw driver socket head on the end of a breaker bar and given it a turn. Make sure you're turning the screw anti-clockwise relative to it's head. Easy to forget when looking from the top!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode