Hesitation, surging, heat, then PERFECT... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hesitation, surging, heat, then PERFECT...

This one is weird. It's been an ongoing occurrence over the last few months so I know it's something intermittent causing my problem, or perhaps a faulty connection/sensor/device.

Starts up, fires right up, runs brilliantly... get on the freeway, tons of power, cruising along... suddenly i feel a noticeable power loss and the bike starts heating up. 177 quicklly becomes low 200's. If I slow down or get behind a tractor trailer, that low 200's becomes 220. Then the fan cycles start and it bounces between 210 and 222. Then, just as I get pissed off about it, I will hit a bump or something in the road... my power comes back, and the bike quickly recovers and cools down to 180-182. Five minutes later... maybe I hit a bump again, and bam... runs crappy, heats up again, etc. It never stalls, and I have no FI lights. No modifications have been made leading up to the start of these issues... bike's been the same for a year.

Loose connection? Bad coil? Fuel pressure regulator? Fuel pump? All sorts of ideas have popped into my head but I thought I would ping the group and see if someone had a similar occurrence.

Thanks, as always!

Russell

RuZZeLL
'05 Black/Charcoal RC51

-=Southern California=-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Does it happen primarily at a particular RPM range?
And is it repeatable or sporadic?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

No particular range when it occurs. I notice that some days it takes longer to "happen" than others. It bums me out when it begins within 1-2 minutes of starting my drive, as sometimes all is well for a good 10-15mins. Seems like it is onset when I hit extra crappy sections of freeway that causes the bike to buck back and forth. I can pretty much count on that condition under those circumstances.

-R

RuZZeLL
'05 Black/Charcoal RC51

-=Southern California=-

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 02:39 PM

Mine had a spell when it would start and run fine and then would stutter lose power and make me wonder if I needed to pull off. Then it would run fine again. First started as brief moments but then I endured it on the interstate for 10 miles.

What was found was loose battery connections. Cleaned them up, tightened them up and all was good again.

As for your part about the temp, not sure that fits in. I know mine will run between 180 and 215 depending upon motion of bike and the clean air it is getting. Get behind a truck and it climbs right up. Similar if traffic is pretty stacked in front of me. Get clean air and it drops quickly back.

NCS

Riding NC Piedmont

03 B MW K1200RS
03 Honda RC51
74 Honda CB750

Keep smiling.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Battery terminals... hmm... intermittent loss when hitting a bump... the heat could be caused by low voltage at the coils causing the fuel not to completely combust perhaps? It's worth a check. Can a battery be faulty from excessive vibration over the years and internally fail when hitting a bump, etc? Maybe a new $40 battery is worth the money to try.

Are there any connections that are infamous for getting gunked up or becoming loose/faulty? If I take the fairings off and really dig in there I want to try everything. This will probably be my project tomorrow.

Thanks all-

-Russell

RuZZeLL
'05 Black/Charcoal RC51

-=Southern California=-
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 02:54 PM

I was at a loss about mine and fearing something massive starting to fail. At my wrench for other reasons I asked if he had any ideas. His head guy used to head up a honda shop. He said right away, loose connections. He said he had seen it many times before. I doubted it could be so simple. While we talked he took the seat off, found the connections loose, took them off, cleaned them up. snugged them down and all was goodness again.

The temp stuff could be related. I just mentioned the traffic stuff as my BMW has a stall speed for the cooling system of about 55. If I run it so revs are up in a lower gear and below 55, it runs up to just below hot. It is a known thing with the model. It never overheats, just the temp climbs to about where the fans would come on. Get in clean air, another 5 mph and things drop right back down.

NCS

Riding NC Piedmont

03 B MW K1200RS
03 Honda RC51
74 Honda CB750

Keep smiling.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I'd take off the rear cowl & side panels & check connections under the seat to the battery, but also connections that control the cooling fan (Is your bike SP1 or SP2 - fan systems are different?). Also, check coolant levels in the expansion tank & radiators whilst the panels are off. Might also help explain the temp difference.

It might be two different faults combined, rather than just one. It's a matter of checking all possibilities.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
I was at a loss about mine and fearing something massive starting to fail. At my wrench for other reasons I asked if he had any ideas. His head guy used to head up a honda shop. He said right away, loose connections. He said he had seen it many times before. I doubted it could be so simple. While we talked he took the seat off, found the connections loose, took them off, cleaned them up. snugged them down and all was goodness again.

The temp stuff could be related. I just mentioned the traffic stuff as my BMW has a stall speed for the cooling system of about 55. If I run it so revs are up in a lower gear and below 55, it runs up to just below hot. It is a known thing with the model. It never overheats, just the temp climbs to about where the fans would come on. Get in clean air, another 5 mph and things drop right back down.

NCS
I second this. I had a similar problem last fall on a trip in Colorado. It finally got to the point where the bike completely died. Got the bike home, checked the connections and the ground wire was loose. Tightened it back up and the bike was instantly good to go. Amazing something so simple can cause such a big problem.

2014 December BOTM Winner
2015 June BOTM Winner

Still debating on whether to use my power of invisibility for good or evil
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
How much power are you losing? A little or a lot?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Well, I lifted the tank and seat, checked connections on obvious items such as plug wires, etc. Even disconnected and reconnected my PCIII and the ground wire, tightened up the connections to the battery, and went for a spin. Everything was running beautifully for a couple hours, and then I got a heat spell coming off of Santiago Canyon to Laguna Hills. There's still something going on.

The power loss, when it happens, is noticeable, like hitting a huge head wind or going up a hill. It requires me to advance the throttle a good 10% to maintain whatever speed I am traveling, and the bike produces noticably more vibration. You can almost watch the temp gauge creep up when it happens, too. It will go from a cozy 177-179, and within a minute shoot up to the 200-220's.

I bought a fuel pressure regulator last week just in case. With now 30k on the bike, it's not a bad $40 idea just to install and see what happens.

Lastly, this is strictly seat of the pants or possibly paranoia.. but if I had to guess, it feels like running the high beam makes the problem even worse. That might just be me worrying and feeling things, though. But if it turned out to be related, I wouldn't be surprised.

Crazy.

Thanks-

Russell

RuZZeLL
'05 Black/Charcoal RC51

-=Southern California=-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode