Bike shut off while riding - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bike shut off while riding

Hey guys, I have a 2001 rc51 here is my problem. I was on the way to work this morning (about 10 mile trip) let off the gas headlights started to strobe out and and I had no engine power nothing. Pulled clutch in pulled off the highway bike shut off. At first I had a F1 light when I cycled the key off and on. Then F1 light shut off. I tried starting the bike over and over, won't even crank. Cycled the engine switch nothing. Injectors are priming everything is working EXCEPT the headlights and the bike starting of course.
To me it is sounding like a short of some kind in the front end of the bike/wiring harness. I would imagine it isnt anything major I just havent had the time to rip into the front end to see if there is a loose connector or short or if i fried wires.
My brake light still works dash display still works full tank of gas just wondering if there is someone that has had the same issue before and what the fixs was.
I thank anyone in advance for the help or advise on what to look at or where they would start.
The bike is a daily driver has just under 30k on it has K&N filters and two brothers high mounts only mods done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Loose ground...battery or main. Common incident for this bike.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thats what I am thinking as well thanks for the fast reply man... after pushing my baby a good mile at 530 a.m. i didnt care to attempt to figure it out at that current moment.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Two fuses to check are the main 30amp fuse right by the battery, and the headlight fuse in the fuse box under the left fairing. The bike wont let power to the starter if your headlight fuse pops. Make sure your battery clamps are clean and tight. Hopefully it's that simple.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Ok so i ripped my bike apart from front to back and found this:
-Headlight fuse was blown. went to the wiring harness starting from both headlights and inch by inch followed every wire as far as i could and nothing not even a nick in a single wire.
-cheked all of the other fuses and they werent blown but the legs of the fuse were pretty worn looked like every fuse was a factory one. so went ahead and replaced them all.
-followed every wire from the turn signals back and same thing as well and then went from the tail-light and completely re-wired my undertail and tied every loose wire completly up to where it looked like part of the factory wiring harness. not a single wire visible now.
-530 this morning took bike off bike stand road out of the garage down the street and onto the highway hit about 75 coming down the on ramp hit a small bump in the road and the headlights turned off again but the bike continued to run. (thankfully no 1 mile walk this morning) got home parked it put it up on stands and drove into work. havent even looked at it yet do i sit there and just completely re-wire the headlights and hope it solves my problem or what. i cant keep taking my wifes car away from her.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
If you hit a bump and the headlights went out, did the fuse pop again? If so you have a wire shorting. If not then I suggest you have a bad harness connection. Glad that you at least got it running again.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Maybe your bulb(s) just blew.
Or the headlight relay may have failed.
You can use a multimeter or a tester to see if power is getting to the headlights. I'd unplug the headlight connector and test it there.
Or you could put the headlight relay into the fuelpump relay connector, then turn on the key and see if she primes. Yes means your relay is good.

You didn't mention if your lowbeam and highbeam failed or just the lowbeam.

Sometimes these things happen in twos and threes and fours...
I had three of my relays fail within a few months, then my headlight bulb, then a couple fuses. I thought I was freaking jinxed, but relieved they were all just old components that finally let go.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Could also be the main fuse connection near the battery. Mine had a bad connection there once and the bike would lose ignition when going over bumps. Eventually it left me stranded on the highway - so I pulled over, took the seat cowl off, checked and found the fault before fixing and continuing on my way.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Ok so round two of heres what i did last night.
-opened the left side fairing replaced the fuse again turned the bike on and started hitting the front cowl trying to simulate a bump. Not even a twitch or nothing. So i hopped on the bike and started jumping on the seat picked up the front end about 4 inches dropped it back down nothing. i think my bike is dying laughing at me by now. so i ripped my H.I.D. ballast off the velcro mounting spot and bent every inch of the wire all of the way to the relay and then started bening the wires from the relay back to the main harness. nothing. went to reach further down to the lower connector and i just so happend to pinch my headlight relay against the main inner cowl and the fairing. and i heard a bzzz.
-headlights off pulled my arm out and put it back in bzzzz.... now i had to figure out what it was that was making the noise started pressing the relay against where it was sitting and i realized the relay was sitting sideways or upside down and it would get scrunched and flip the relay and then un due its self when the same action occured. i disconnected the relay and cleaned all of the corrosion out of the relay and the harness .
-took bike off of stands this morning started it woke up the whole neighborhood like usual and road into work making sure i hit as many bumps in the road before i hit the junction in the highway. not even a flicker i almost cried a tear of complete happiness for my baby. i made it to work good so far going to use some connector cleaner and and grease that we have here at work for connectors to hopefully keep this from happening again.
Hey jondog can i buy these relays at the normal auto parts store
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Bike shut off while riding

The headlight relay normally has to be ordered. Part 15 (38501-GN2-014 RELAY, STARTER) is the same relay. I have a few on standby after one went out on me.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...%29/parts.html

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by weyrauchrc51; 01-28-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode