Scotts SP2 - quick damper mount question - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Scotts SP2 - quick damper mount question

So I have installed my Scotts damper on my SP2 - standard mounting - nothing outside of the instructions done. Having paced the pin holder between the rubber grommets (between the tank and stay) as instructed - this, by default, raises the tank the distance represented by the thickness of the pin holder. The end result is a little wobble in the tank as it is now off it's resting points on the frame and airbox by that distance as well.

Am I missing something? Is this one of those "is what it is" things, or is there a solution to be had to this? I am not sure I am willing to live with it long term. Wasn't an issue on my SP1 as the pin holder mounts on top of the tank in that installation so I sure didn't see it coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I remember a goofy dogbone washer that came with my kit and I also remember wiping my ass with the instructions and arranging the pin holder so that my tank seated and the pin sat where it should ...hope this helps.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I played with the position of the bracket - no bueno - for me anyway. Ultimately - it would need to sit on TOP of the tank, but this puts the boss where the pin sits in conflict with the arm itself. Thinking maybe going to a SP1 pin mount would solve the problem as that one sits much lower - the pin is recessed into the bracket and not sticking out above it. The dogbone washer is only necessary if your cross bar on the fairing stay is welded on lower than usual. Raises the stay a bit to clear the damper. Mine clears just fine so no washer necessary.

If you get the chance - a pic of the way yours is mounted would be worth a thousand words!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottm View Post
I played with the position of the bracket - no bueno -

If you get the chance - a pic of the way yours is mounted would be worth a thousand words!
I don't think a pic of mine will help I swapped it out years ago ... sorry...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	46561   Click image for larger version

Name:	isanti 2010 523.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	46569   Click image for larger version

Name:	~~_3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	46585  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Flip the bracket upside down, and then put it on top of the tank grommets. You'll have to push the pin in so the only part above the plastic spacer is the part with the milled flat spots. (mine looks a little different for obvious reasons)

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

Last edited by b.miller123; 02-19-2014 at 12:33 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Here's how I have mine set up.
The lower rubber grommets are fitted on the fairing stay with a shouldered washer. The shoulder goes all the way down to the top clamp.
Then the gas tank grommets with no washer, then the wishbone bracket and bolts.
As you can see, my grommets are a little tattered, but this setup works pretty good for me.
And if it makes any difference, this is a SP1. Shouldn't matter though...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
^^ the bracket on the SP1 kits was about double the thickness where the tank bolts go through.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
^^ the bracket on the SP1 kits was about double the thickness where the tank bolts go through.
That shouldn't matter right, since the bracket is on top of everything?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

You guys rock! Thanks for the idea on flipping the bracket over. Hadn't even occurred to me - I will give that a shot.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Always learning something new. My SP2 came with all this when I bought it. I checked my bike after reading the thread and sure enough the tank is a little off the frame with a bit of play. Not really noticeable though and hasn't been a problem.

Still, I thought I'd give the flipped tank bracket suggestion a try. A PITA as my blue loctite essentially glued the shoulder washers to the bolts. But once I got tank mount apart and rejigged things, it seems the flipped tank bracket works and works well. The tank is now against the frame spars nicely and the pin in the tank bracket has no problem working with the link arm on the stabilizer. I did adjust the plastic spacer on the pin so that not much of the pin comes through the bottom, without interfering with the link arm up top either. Too much of the pin out the bottom and on my setup it may hit the fairing stay mount.

The fairing stay cross brace appears to be a little closer to the damper than I remember. But my front fairing is off and until I remount it I won't be able to see if that spacing has changed in reality. I'm thinking it hasn't once everything is back on.

Thx for all the helpful posts and the thread.

Just want to also mention an obvious tip that we often dismiss....never force a bolt in. Those tank bolts are a PITA to put in and easy to cross thread. One of mine was giving some resistance, and I was tempted to let er rip. But thankfully I backed off and pulled things apart. I used a die to run through the bolt threads and it turned out they were a little rough. Once I cleaned up the bolt threads the bolt went in much smoother and I didn't even need to tap the bolt holes in the frame to clean them up.

And Scott's is correct to blue loctite everything on this install.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 02-19-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode