SP1 Dies Under Hard Breaking ? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SP1 Dies Under Hard Breaking ?

I have my 01 track bike that after a good fast straight, I brake hard for a corner, right or left it doesn't matter, it dies and I have to roll off to the side and use the starter and it starts right up. I have changed maps thinking that might be it. Re-did all fuel lines to make sure none were crimping under braking. I checked all the wiring that might do something under braking. Nothing worked. Mine is pretty stock, Arrow exhaust, PC, Carbon air box and snorkel from Australia. Tried it on two different tracks and it does the same thing. Any ideas what might be going on ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Tilt sensor not mounted in proper position? If the FI light comes on - Check the wiring near the battery too... a loose connection there can cause these symptoms.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I have an idea, I didn't see fuel pressure regulator on your list of things you checked or replaced...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like the tilt sensor / bank angle shut off. Replace and retry.

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When you say it dies, do you mean the engine loses power, or does the bike completely shut off like you turned the key off? Does the dash stay on?

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

When you say tilt sensor, do you mean the Bank sensor ? I see there is a relay and sensor. Sensor looked right. I have an aftermarket subframe so it was just mounted to the left side next to the coil with the arrow pointing up, checked all battery connections and all were good. Didn't check fuel pressure regulator. It works fine under acceleration, top end, just under hard braking. And to be honest under hard braking and diving into a corner I am not looking at the dash. All I know that it does not fire while in gear rolling to the side of the track. It is when I stop at the side of the track and use the starter does it start again. How do I check sensor ?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hey bat - another thing to check is the little wires on both of the connections to your ECU. I had a loose/disconnected wire and had the syptoms you are describing.

ARSEY51
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bat333 View Post
When you say tilt sensor, do you mean the Bank sensor ? I see there is a relay and sensor. Sensor looked right. I have an aftermarket subframe so it was just mounted to the left side next to the coil with the arrow pointing up, checked all battery connections and all were good. Didn't check fuel pressure regulator. It works fine under acceleration, top end, just under hard braking. And to be honest under hard braking and diving into a corner I am not looking at the dash. All I know that it does not fire while in gear rolling to the side of the track. It is when I stop at the side of the track and use the starter does it start again. How do I check sensor ?
If it is mounted sideways I bet you are pulling enough G-force to trip it
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

I went out and started the bike. Held the sensor in my hand, turned it ever which way and even upside down and it did not kill the bike. Is it suppose to ? Is the raised arrow and the word up suppose to be, facing the side or the front ?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bat333 View Post
I went out and started the bike. Held the sensor in my hand, turned it ever which way and even upside down and it did not kill the bike. Is it suppose to ? Is the raised arrow and the word up suppose to be, facing the side or the front ?
Is it possible the bike needs to be in gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode