Battery suggestions? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Battery suggestions?

Hey I/m looking for some feed back on your battery suggestions. I am considering a Ballistic EVO2 12 cell. Fits in the compartment and ways just 2lbs 5oz and 360cca. I'd like to get some feedback and opinions!

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
See here.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport View Post
Hey I/m looking for some feed back on your battery suggestions. I am considering a Ballistic EVO2 12 cell. Fits in the compartment and ways just 2lbs 5oz and 360cca. I'd like to get some feedback and opinions!
I installed a new Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 on 8/8/13 which seems to be working fine.

Worked so well I decided to 'be nice' and buy my brother-in-law one for his YZF-R1 (well the Alien Motion brand version anyway). Luck ran out. Something was wrong, still not sure what, but he decided to take it to the shop the let them diagnose his electrical system thinking it had a problem, but after a week and some $$$ they found nothing wrong but the battery. But here's the thing: While the shop had the bike with the brand new lithium battery, they apparently over-charged the battery since when he got it back the battery was hugely swollen, sides bulging out like mad. That's when I learned (and the shop should've already known) that 1) you should not charge a lithium battery with a regular lead acid battery charger, and 2) you should also not jump-start a lithium battery off a vehicle with a regular lead-acid battery ... bad things happen. I have quite a few emails back-and-forth with the Alien Motion tech answering questions and explaining that lithium batteries can't handle the in-rush from a lead-acid battery.

So, while so-far-so-good for me, I would probably not buy another lithium battery.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Since you have Shorai, let's go with the real source for info on them. From Shorai....

Quote:
Q. Can I use Lead-Acid battery chargers or charger/tenders?

A. Yes. HOWEVER, you may NOT use a charger/tender if it has an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off.
Quote:
Q. How do I maintain my Shorai LFX Battery?

.....“Smart” lead-acid chargers with automatic cutoff may be used for periodic charging, but will NOT work as a tender/maintainer and should be disconnected immediately after charge has finished. Older lead chargers without automatic shut-off should never be used.

http://shoraipower.com/faq

Last edited by kwtoxman; 03-28-2014 at 02:23 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

I bought a sealed napa battery for mine. Seems to work well

|--Honda Racing----| | | '|";,__.
|_..._...__________| |_|_|.....,]
"(@)'(@)""""*|(@)(@)*****(@)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
That is interesting, kw ... seems we have some differing info ... here's some of my direct communications:

Me: "So a regular charger for a lead acid battery actually kills these lithium batteries? If so, how does a bike's alternator not do the same?"

Alien Motion tech: "It's not about the charging, most likely the service technican attempted to jump start the motorcycle from a lead acid. You cannot do this because in most situations the huge ungoverned inrush of current will damage lithium batteries. We see swelling of the battery in this situation and with bad regulator/recitifiers."

Me: "Will connecting jumper cables from a car's lead acid battery to the bike's lithium also damage the lithium?"

Alien Motion tech: "Yes and that will apply to all lithiums for the same reason as stated below. It can't regulate the amount of amperage or current into the battery, unlike your bike's regulator/recitifier and stator. I hope that helps so that it doesn't become an issue with your battery."
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Screw it, gonna try one anyway. I also ordered the specific tender to mount on the bike to maintain the battery.

Thanks for the useful opinions!

Sean
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
I bought one of these and I will be going into my second season with no issues.
http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...ries/8cell.php

I did buy the charger they recommended for $35 too....small price to pay.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I bought a Shorai for my ZX14, its was great apart from slightly hesitant on the initial hit of the start switch but always fired up.

I'd buy again as soon as this one on my RC takes a crap and dies.

Has just realized that I don't care what it costs until I get the bill! :roll eyes: ...

Rossco's RC Teardown & Rebuild....

PARTS FOR SALE!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have a Ballistic EVO2 and love it. Takes up almost no room, little weight and has lots of power. You just touch the starter button and BOOM...every time. To charge it safely, I just hook it up to another battery.

If your RC51 doesn't bring you to your knees, you are not a righteous man...lol.

Last edited by RC46; 03-31-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode