exhaust wondering - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
exhaust wondering

ok guys random question i imagine i will get a couple of fast respones and that is kinda what i am looking for... it has been a while since i have been on here being in the military makes it alittle pain. so in the past 6 months i have went thru the rear exhaust down pipe mid pipe exhaust pipe whatever you want to call it i have went thru those gaskets 3 times now and i am tired of replacing them. i have found out the the top gasket isnt the problem it is the lower gasket. my question is can i weld the lower attachment point on the pipe or even both and it be efficent still. i havent even put 1000k on the gaskets since the last change. i took it on a moutain ride and i noticed it when i started the bike up at the pizza factory that it was leaking again. but being that my wife is getting ready to have our baby figure i would have ample amount of time to tac-weld it into place and and make is a air tight seal on the lower attchment point thus making the upper still able to be removed. good idea bad idea possible not possible what are your guys opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 02:40 PM

Weld the very short section that comes from the rear cylinder, to the next section, as this will very much reduce the following, lower gasket from blowing and make sure that you clamp the welded section and the lower section securely as any vibration/looseness of these joins, will accelerate the destruction/blowing of these gaskets.

BTW, have you ever seen the exhaust from an SP2 ? the rear short section from the cylinder head, is a one piece design, rather than two piece, as it was on the SP1 ........ Honda learnt pretty quickly and made the slight redesign.

Welding the two small sections together, doesn't present any issues putting the exhaust back together when/if you need to replace the lowest gasket (just remove the mufflers and also undo the nuts from the front cylinder, to give you some working room to put the new gasket in and push the lowest section into the welded section within the swingarm area.

Hope this helps and makes sense.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

yes it makes perfect sense thank you very much i was just wondering if i was going to cause my self a bigger headache doing this rather than just sucking it up. i have moose racing clamps that i have torqued to 55ftlbs so they are very tight just keep blowing for no reason. so i am deff going to tac-weld the lower into place and just weld the entire thing. all the grooves everything. it will be filled and never pose a leak again. thanks chief for the reply. my little brother has a sp2 and the exhaust looks like it is just welded like i am wanting to do to mine. thanks man

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 03:07 PM

Another good reason for welding the two short sections is that, because the gasket closest to the cylinder is always the one to blow most often (and sometimes the nuts that hold the exhaust on tend to seize on the exhaust studs) it can be a real pain to have to continually remove that section.

If the nuts have seized on the studs, to remove the exhaust, you'll end up unscrewing the threads from the cylinder heads and sometimes they will come part way out and stop, or snap off half of the exposed stud length.

Fit a new gasket between the short sections, line the two section up as if you are refitting it, simply to get the correct angle to refit to the cylinder head and weld that sucker up ..... saves you a fortune in gaskets and a lot of time in strip and refit sessions.

Once that upper gasket wont be able to blow in future, the only gasket that'll ever blow will be the lowest one, as the gaskets that go into the muffler pipes, shouldn't blow, buy may degrade or be squashed if you roughly handle the mufflers when refitting them.

Don't think about welding any other sections up, otherwise, you wont be able to refit the exhaust.

Last edited by Screaming Chief; 04-26-2014 at 03:10 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

ya i agree i will just have weld both and not have to worry about it any more. the studs would be the least of my worries as i am a aircraft mechanic by trade and have a pretty good set of skills when it comes to broken studs and what not. plenty of tools as wells. thanks for the heads up. just tired of the hassel. i wont have to worry about any other gaskets other than the header gasket aftermarket cans dont require gaskets. thanks again chief
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 04:09 PM

Just to clarify, I only welded the very short section from the rear cylinder, to the next short section, so that I have that as one piece and the main exhaust section from the front cylinder, I can push fit together, using the normal Honda gasket.

I didn't weld all of the OEM exhaust sections together as I thought it would be much more difficult (if not impossible) to refit as a one piece system, ie angling the pipework to fit both cylinder heads at the same time.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

ya i gotcha on that one. im doing the lower section and leaving the upper one be. the lower section is to one that keeps blowing out on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode