First ride on my RC - Clutch goes bad - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
First ride on my RC - Clutch goes bad

Finally I got my RC finished and a break in the weather so I can get it to the dealer for it’s out of province inspection. I’ve spent the winter servicing the bike (filters, plugs, tires, pads, and all fluids) which included fixing a leaky clutch slave. I cleaned out all the crap gave the cylinder a rub down with fine grit paper replaced the seals and it worked great, although like others the clutch bites right at the end of the lever.

It’s a 30km ride to my dealer and my RC performs well and gives me a chance to get used to its character, it sure is different to every other bike I’ve owned and will take some getting used to.

So I check the bike in with the service manager and he gets on my bike to ride it over to the workshop. Of course he cannot get it started, so I explain were the choke is and it fires right up, then he cannot get it moving, what the heck! I give it a try, and the clutch won’t engage, WT…

The lever felt normal, there’s no hydraulic fluid leaks that I can see

Disappointed, I had no choice but to leave my bike with the dealer for the inspection and to fix the clutch, driving home I’m thinking the clutch slave piston must have stuck.

I’m hoping once the bike sits overnight maybe it will release and if it doesn’t have encouraged the shop to try tapping the cylinder to see if it that will release it, I just hate the thought of them ripping into it and telling me about all the parts that need replacing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140412_174745.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	57986  

Martin

2000 RC51, 2002 CBR1100XX, 2005 ST1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
So the clutch would not disengage?

As an aside, my old 2000 VFR800 had a similar situation where the slave cylinder was leaking out the bypass hole at the bottom.
Rather than take a chance on replacing seals with a possible worn cylinder, I just replaced the whole slave cylinder assembly.
The whole process was fairly painless and quick. Even the bleeding went easier than I expected.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

The opposite, the clutch won't engage, it's stuck disengaged.

I agree a new cylinder is likely the best fix, how much of the assemble did you replace with new beside the cylinder? Mine was also weeping from the hole at the bottom of the cylinder.

Martin

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
It came as an assembly, ready to go.
All I had to was unbolt the old slave cylinder assembly, and set aside, then clean the old gasket material off.
Then install new gasket, then bolt the new assembly in place and torque, followed by bleeding.
Cleaning off the old gasket material took the longest time.
The slave cylinder assembly wasn't cheap, but I was trying to get the bike running as quick as possible.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Still waiting on the dealer to tell me what went wrong but I'm thinking if it is a stuck slave piston wouldn't the lever have a different feel, like more resistance?

Martin

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the same problem, I thought I have a burned clutch, it turns out it was a $20 dollars kickstand switch.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Got my RC back from the dealer this weekend, clutch problem was a bit of crap blocking a port in the master cylinder, it also needed steering head bearings to pass the test. Any way had my first proper ride yesterday, just 100 miles but what fun love the engine and pointy handing so much more character than my other bikes.

It is awkward to start when warm,I'm finding it easiest to use the choke, not so easy when stalled at the light, any other tips out there, yeh I know don't stall it dummy

Martin

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky.high View Post
Got my RC back from the dealer this weekend, clutch problem was a bit of crap blocking a port in the master cylinder, it also needed steering head bearings to pass the test. Any way had my first proper ride yesterday, just 100 miles but what fun love the engine and pointy handing so much more character than my other bikes.

It is awkward to start when warm,I'm finding it easiest to use the choke, not so easy when stalled at the light, any other tips out there, yeh I know don't stall it dummy
Congrats on the clutch issue being an easy fix. Some tips about riding these i found helpful are as follows...
1 Change the gearing -1tooth front +1 rear. This helps get the ol gal moving with less throttle. 15/41
2 Crack the throttle a little when warm starting, this helps mine start easier and the little blip of twin exhaust always gets attention

2006 #215 PC3USB
soft rev, flapper, 15/41

"Just tell them you bought it to impress women and have no fucking clue what it is or what you are doing." b.miller123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode