233 degrees... cooling issue.. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
233 degrees... cooling issue..

So I finally got to go riding today after a long year of off and on working on her. Ambient temp in az today was around 105 and highway riding brought the bike to 233 but no higher, which is saying a lot, compared to last time of 245. I threw in EI last night after many cycles and I think it helped, although my dealer says honda coolant has a higher temp rating.. I had that in last and EI seems to be better. The fans seem to only work intermittently definately at 220 but sporadic when stopped with the on position at 220. Not sure if thats a culprit. I plan to do the fan switch bypass mod next week to help prolong the inevitable temps but I need to think of a more permanent solution, as AZ is unforgiving.. The fans are set to push and thats about it for whats been done about the issue. I said it didnt go above 233 but the ride ended shortly after that so I dont know for sure. Im home now and letting her cool, but I'm going back out in a few hours, when the temp gets lower, and I plan to do a long ride to see what I come up with.

Problems I've eliminated: water pump works, thermostat works, hoses and lines are all good, I burped all bubbles out, fans do work (98%).

I would like to create some kind of air induction system in the cowls to help flow air to the rads. (PVC type config and hole cutting *cringe*) only problem I could see is disrupting the fans in some way.

Perhaps the dual spal fans could be a step in the right direction as well.

Any ideas? All critisism is welcomed.
-Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

*EDIT* I know thos is a beaten to death topic on here and I don't mean to resurrect it to annoy. I lurk a lot on these forums and I usually only post when im at a crossroad and need advice..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well, here in Eastern Canada it gets to about 42 degrees celsius with humidity. I couldn't imagine AZ temps. Anyway, my 05' RC runs at a max of 102 degrees Centigrade in the hottest low speed conditions with Honda coolant. I would have a technician look at it and confirm the status. It's better to pay for an hours labour, find out the issue if there is one, than paying thousands after receiving the wrong advice.

Good luck!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 07:37 PM

102 degrees C equals 215.6 F. 110C equals 230F! Yikes! In slow traffic when it was 35 degrees celsius, or 95 degrees F, my 2004 model reached 102C, as well.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So what is the max for these bikes? Mine sits round 180/190 on cool days highway, then 210 ish on hot days pootling round town. I use Engine Ice which was developed here in Florida, Great stuff...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App sucks balls!!! Omfg it won't stop opening the f'in App Store!

Has just realized that I don't care what it costs until I get the bill! :roll eyes: ...

Rossco's RC Teardown & Rebuild....

PARTS FOR SALE!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Rossco;530986]So what is the max for these bikes? Mine sits round 180/190 on cool days highway, then 210 ish on hot days pootling round town. I use Engine Ice which was developed here in Florida, Great stuff...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was going to look for that info as well, because I want to find it's peak performance temperature, that way I don't go overboard cooling it down to a temp that is less than optimum. Although it's possible its peak temp could be in the 200's as it is a "track" bike..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'll have to check the exact number in the manual, but I believe MAX temp is 252...then it is bad news

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
It is 251F. (or 252) At that point, engine damage is likely.
If your temp light ever comes on, shut the bike off immedialty.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode