overheating. the usual rc problem - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
overheating. the usual rc problem

so my 03 has recently started running hot. even on highways it hovers in the 230s. and in town its 240s, never gets any hotter but just stays around there. ive flushed the coolant, running water wetter. the fans kick on at 220. im pretty sure the thermostat is working, but i have a new one on order just in case. and the hose coming outta the water pump does have drips coming out of it. the sign of a bad mechanical seal, right? so that is on order too. will those two parts be the culprit? anything else i should look for? besides the usual leaky hoses and whatnot. ive been reading all i can to find a solution. just seeing if theres any advice that ive missed. thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Never used water wetter before but I do use Engine Ice http://www.engineice.com and swear by it. Oddly enough we were just discussing this earlier.

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/sho...ht=engine+temp

One thing I might suggest is to see if there is any sludge in the pipes or rads, if someone previously tried to fix that leak with 'stop leak' then Im afraid its gonna be a pain in the arse getting those rads cleaned out. Hopefully they didn't as this would not help in cooling the engine as it'll reduce the flow through the rads.

Has just realized that I don't care what it costs until I get the bill! :roll eyes: ...

Rossco's RC Teardown & Rebuild....

PARTS FOR SALE!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

yep, i just read through that thread too. are spal fans worth looking into?everything ive read, everyone swears by them. it never gets miserably hot here, or im never in traffic jams or anything like that so i didnt think it was completely necessary

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was just looking at spal fans and decided I didn't need them at the moment as my bike seems to run pretty cool so I can't comment, I'm sure someone will chime in though.

Has just realized that I don't care what it costs until I get the bill! :roll eyes: ...

Rossco's RC Teardown & Rebuild....

PARTS FOR SALE!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Fans

In SOCAL, temps can rise to over 110..I cahanged mine to spal pushers...helps a good bit...I believe there is a thermostat from another bike that will kick the fans on at 180 or so.....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've gone with the Turn One radiator shrouds, Spal pusher fans, Samco silicone rubber hoses and Evans waterless coolant. In 90+F weather it will get to about 220F but when the fans kick on, the temp drops like it should. I tried Engine Ice and it worked no better than the OEM anti-freeze.

'12 KTM RC8
JCE Exhaust
Bazzaz GP Quick Shift
Rottweiler Ram Air

'02 RC51
LadyBird Full Titanium HRC Replica Exhaust
PCIII USB
Lockhart CF Frame and Swingarm Sliders
GP Shift
Galfer Superbike Brake Lines
Turn One C/F Snorkle & Airbox With K&N Filter
Turn One Radiator Ducts w/Spal Pusher fans
Samco Radiator Hoses
Powdercoated OEM Wheels

'11 CBR1000RR Repsol Edition
Bazzaz ZFI/AFM
Taylormade Exhaust

'80 CBX

'65 CB77 Vintage Road Racer
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

so i guess i should try the pusher fans if these other two parts arent the solution. just seems like hovering around 240 is very hot. like something is wrong other than being a very hot blooded machine.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I have most of the cooling upgrades for the side mounts, engine ice, twin spal and the fins. So minus the internal scoops.

90 degree F plus ambient temperature and my bike never sees anything above 190 while cruising on the hwy.

Make sure that your coolant system is clean, clean it like a coffee maker. Make sure the thermostat is working right, and use engine ice. Even with stock fans the bike should stay cool, under 220.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

new thermostat is installed. i just put the old coolant back in to see if it worked. it seemed to help, i didnt get to test drive it. but the temps still climbed to 240 before i shut it off. ill flush the system real good this weekend and get some engine ice. hopefully thatll take care of it. waterpump will have to be another day. plus that seems like quite the project anyway
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

i tore the bike apart again to find out the impeller had basically came disconnected from the shaft. the sure sign of my bike running hot. parts are on order right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode