Header size - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Header size

Hi guys,

Just trying to find a set of pipes that I like so I can put together a nice exhaust system. I have 2 requirements I want it to tuck up high so it follows the line of the sub frame better and I need to keep a set of passenger foot rests.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent exhaust that fits the bill or can anyone tell me the diameter of the exhaust header where slip ons connect?

Cheers

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Sell that fat wallory turd and buy a 600RR. You'll be just as fast, it's way easier to ride and it already has the exhaust look you want
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Sell the RC51 and swap it for a ricer in line 4? Hell no. Mind you. I have to actually buy the bike first. I'm still at work for another 2 weeks so I'm just doing some research for the changes I'd like to make.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 04:18 PM

So get a V-Strom 650 instead

V-twin engine, Comfy, tucked up exhaust & carries a passenger with ease
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Ok. I thought I was on an RC51 forum. Not sure why you're trying to steer me away from the SP2. I'm not after a different bike. Just looking for some basic information on the diameter of the header pipe so I can look around for suitable candidates for a custom system. Or information on a system that may already fit these requirements.

By the way. I already have a Ducati Diavel and CRF 250M which I also ride regularly. I have a girlfriend that loves riding with me hence the reason for needing to keep the passenger footpegs. I'm not after comfy and I'm not after something that will do long trips with easy. My Diavel is great for that. Its just a little fat in the ass end for decent track days. Like I said. I'm not after advice on which bike to buy. I can make up my own mind on that front. I'm just after some basic information to help with researching the mods that I want to make.

But thanks for your input.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 04:49 PM

Well you are looking at a bike that is a relic compared to your Diavel. It is a horribly uncomfortable bike on its best day, with dismal fuel mileage and with a passenger on the back it's even worse in every possible regard I can think of.

Virtually nobody bothers to make a decent exhaust for it anymore especially high mount versions and if you do find a good brand that will do it then them expect to pay a very high premium for it and even more on top of that for custom brackets to retain your passenger pegs.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm buying specifically as a project bike. If I wanted the biggest and the best v-twin sport bike then I'd buy another ducati. I've had my share of inline 4s. I've got a nice Ducati that I can keep riding but apart from a few bolt ons like some carbon panels and putting the ohlins on, I don't really want to go any further with changing that bike. This bike however was a fantastic bike in its day and is still a great looking bike. But its at a price that I don't mind stripping it down and doing some custom fab work. Thats why I wanted the diameter of the header pipe so I can narrow down my list of cans that would suit. I'm thinking of using stubby pipes that are not too long to aft of the passenger foot pegs so only the extended header pipe will be behind the pegs and the cans will mount off the sub frame further back. Its not hard to get some custom foot rests machined up. Labor and machining costs are pretty cheap here in Thailand.

Just like my Diavel. There are only a few exhaust options and half of them are fairly high prices so I did my research and discovered that using an Arrow link pipe let me use any of the exhaust options for a BMW S1000RR. It all just bolted on very easy. I know it won't be so easy with this bike though.

The RC51 is a bike that I've always wanted to own. Its a shame that after market parts are getting harder to find but that just means my bike will be even more unique if I have to make some custom parts.

Last edited by toughnut; 09-01-2014 at 05:11 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 05:09 PM

Hindle may still have some on clearance. Check their website, they also still had some foot peg brackets last time I talked to them. They only sell close out stuff direct. They have a link on their site for these items.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 PM

Somebody likely will come along shortly with those measurements, but if since you are willing to fabricate the parts anyway what difference does it make what size the OEM headers are? You can just step-up or step-down the mid-pipes to adapt to whatever size you need at that end...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Steve,

Pre-Welcome to the RC51 club!! I have only owned my '04 two weeks but love it already. I am not trying to modify it yet, just trying to get it cleaned up and tuned (last check, rear master cylinder brake fluid reservoir was empty ) I haven't started tuning her up yet but she starts on the first compression stroke and idles without even chocking. It sounds a little rough compared to an inline four but that may be it's nature.

The header and link pipes come in many different sizes so you will need to clarify what maker of pipes you can buy in Thailand.

All the high mount (the ones that follow the subframe) pipes I have seen for the RC51 do not have provision for passenger steps. It is hard get them since most are no longer produced.

This ebay seller (I have no affiliation with him is selling a stunning set of pipes, no passenger steps though) There are many famous makers that used to sell high mounts for the RC51 but most are no longer produced.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODUwWDEyODA=/z/JTYAAMXQyY1TUdg4/$_57.JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode