Idle problem and Im out of ideas... for now. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Idle problem and Im out of ideas... for now.

OK, so my bike is a 2002 with 26K miles on the clock. The bike has never given me a problem in the past. PAIR and Flapper still in-tact, Jardine Slip-Ons and K&N filters.

Recently the bike has seen less use from starting a new job and just not having much time to ride it, but all was well until one day it just had a hard time starting and then wouldn't idle right when trying to leave the gas station. The idle got lower and lower and would eventually die.

Here is the odd part - the bike, when cold, seems to fire up just fine and idle nice for a minute or 2. As it gets warmer from riding, the idle get worse and worse. Sitting at a light, the idle is bad enough that it will stall if I do not blip it on occasion. I have turned the idle up to about 1600rpm when cold and it will try and slow down but wont die... but when its cold, its too high and warm its barely hanging on.

I have checked air filters and fuel - fresh fuel and pump is working and within spec. I have not done spark plugs yet or dug any deeper into it.

The strange thing is that it feels fine under load and pulls hard and sounds good.

I did notice a slight rattling noise from the engine that I cant quite pinpoint yet that wasn't there before. seems to be coming from the bottom end but I havent had the fairings off to know for sure but it has me concerned.

I do ride the bike fairly hard for a street bike. I do not abuse it though. It has never been on the track to my knowledge. I have hit the rev limiter with it 2 times in my ownership - once from a late shift (not paying as much attention as I should have been, and once from a missed 1-2 shift. both were early in my ownership.

I plan on doing the valves soon as I don't know when or if they were last done.

Thoughts on what this could be? I am pulling my hair out trying to sort this because there is a bit of inconsistency to it.

- Justin

Justin N. - Las Vegas, NV

- 2002 Honda RC51 (Tia)
- 1999 BMW K1200LT (Elsa)
- 1984 Yamaha IT490 (Zooey)

... and a few more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
FPR do a search
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansp1 View Post
FPR do a search
I have already read up on that... but seems to me if that was failing, I would also have problems throughout the rev range, wouldn't I? and not sure how engine temp would affect that as well. I will certainly look into it though. Is there a procedure to test or check the regulator?

- Justin

- 2002 Honda RC51 (Tia)

... and a few more.

Last edited by That Guy; 10-17-2014 at 02:52 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ok, so after some more skimming, it sounds like that is exactly my problem. yay. I will get one on order and go from there.

- Justin

- 2002 Honda RC51 (Tia)

... and a few more.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Do the plugs too. They are cheap fix in many cases and being iridium tipped are very easy to foul. I've seen just one bad start kill many sets of RC51 plugs over the years. A taste of water in the fuel or an accidental blip of the throttle while starting can lead to a burp of too much fuel hitting the plugs and they never work the same after that.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check the FPR by switching the key on to prime the pump and pressurize the fuel line, then switch off.
Pull the vacuum hose off the diaphragm side of the FPR.
If fuel drips out the fitting, it's done for. Replacement time.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow LDH - I never heard of just blipping the throttle damaging plugs. I am new to the RC - Always raced I4's.. So should i stop blipping the throttle when i start it? replacing my battery once it arrives because shes hard to start, even more so since I put the PCII on it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
Do the plugs too. They are cheap fix in many cases and being iridium tipped are very easy to foul. I've seen just one bad start kill many sets of RC51 plugs over the years. A taste of water in the fuel or an accidental blip of the throttle while starting can lead to a burp of too much fuel hitting the plugs and they never work the same after that.
that has me curious as well because when its hot, i have to almost hold my throttle about 1/4 open to get it to fire now... maybe its both. The FPR is cheap enough that I will go ahead and do that anyway, and the plugs and valve job were on my list already so I'll likely knock that out next week assuming I dont get sent to Phoenix for work on Monday.

After this thread and reading up some more on the fpr, I am about 95% confident that is the problem, coupled with the potentially bad spark plugs. Easy enough.

none of this explains the slight rattle I hear at idle still but I can tackle that one when I have it apart.

keep the ideas flowing though if you have any more just in case.

I will update more as I get into it it. actually its no likely that I will be able to get the FPR here in time anyway, but imma try.

- Justin

- 2002 Honda RC51 (Tia)

... and a few more.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Fuel injected engines never need to be pumped or blipped during the startup. In fact the RC51 never needs to be blipped period except when rev-matching on downshifts and I don't even do that as it messes up the precision of my trailbraking technique.

Also always check to make sure your Throttle Position has been calibrated within your Powercommander software.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
Fuel injected engines never need to be pumped or blipped during the startup. In fact the RC51 never needs to be blipped period except when rev-matching on downshifts and I don't even do that as it messes up the precision of my trailbraking technique.

Also always check to make sure your Throttle Position has been calibrated within your Powercommander software.
I has no power commander. never really saw a need for it.

- Justin

- 2002 Honda RC51 (Tia)

... and a few more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode