'00 RC51 Stalling/Losing Power - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
'00 RC51 Stalling/Losing Power

Hello, having a stalling/losing power problem. While at speed (65 mph) on the freeway the bike loses power. The bike stays on but has no mechanical power, no rpms. After pulling over and putting it in neutral, if I hit the starter button it does nothing. If I turn the key off and on, then hit the starter button, it starts and rides normal until it loses power again. The last couple of rides, it has stopped running six times. Bike has full Moriwaki exhaust, PCII with custom map. Has never had any issues at all. Thanks for any information you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
I think the usual suggestions are to unplug the PC to make sure it's not the problem.

And check the battery connections. Charge or replace the battery. These are fuel injected, so low voltage can cause problems.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Just replaced the battery earlier this year and the first thing I checked but the battery is fine. By unplugging the ecu, do you mean unplug it and plug it back in? The first thing I thought was the ecu was going bad. What I find strange is that it stops running but after turning it off and on, it will run again. Thanks for the suggestions.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Not the ECU ... but the Power Commander. Un-plug that to make sure that's not the cause. Bike should operate fine without it. Guys have reported problems with those.

Might see if you can try a friend's known good battery anyway, just to make sure.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

I will try unplugging the power commander. I will also test the rectifier and stator to see if those may be going out. Thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Doesn't make sense that the battery is the issue. If it was, I think you would have trouble restarting.
Sounds like all you do is cycle the ignition key once, and she starts normal?

I'm suspecting problems with your ignition switch, or chaffed/loose wires (such as the pulse generator wire grounding out) that ground out and then jiggle just far enough away from ground to allow the bike to run again.

Last time my bike did what yours is doing, I discovered this.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

I had the same problems before with exposed wires around the fork/frame after taking it to a shop to do the 15K service. They re-routed the cables incorrectly and eventually the bike started turning off. The difference that time, the bike would turn off. The first time it happened I found a blown ignition fuse. It happened a couple of more times before I discovered the exposed cables. This time around, the bike stays on and there are no blown fuses. The engine just stops but lights and everything else is still on. Trying to figure out how to test the rectifier right now and will test stator also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode