Lots to sort out... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Lots to sort out...

New to RC51s and to this great forum.

I screwed up and made a hasty purchase by buying a somewhat cobbled together bike, but I'm determined to get it up to snuff. Here's the scoop on this thing:

Frame is supposedly from a 2004 model and engine is from a 2005. Supposedly stock except for Erion Racing pipes and aftermarket levers. The bike started and ran just fine although the FI light is on. Front suspension was lowered drastically and I figured that would be easy to fix. In general, not a perfect bike but it seemed pretty sound.

Once I got the front plastic off to work on the suspension height, I realized that the wiring on this bike was a total mess. TONS of taped connections and, after looking at the diagrams in the Honda shop manual, wires are routed incorrectly around the frame in several areas. There's also damage to the the plastic in the headlight mount area and a bunch of other minor cracks and breaks in plastic elsewhere. The guy also decided to wire the fans to run continuously, which I'm not crazy about. All of this can be fixed and I got myself into this, so I'll get myself out, but there's a lot of tedious work ahead of me.

My immediate task is to get the wiring loom, cables, hoses and anything else routed properly and back to the stock configuration. The aftermarket levers hit the front fairing when moving the bike in the garage so I'll be looking for stock replacements. There are MANY connector plugs just hanging unplugged and I'll need to see what's up with those. I also need to read the FI fault codes and see what's up there. There are a lot of components that aren't mounted properly and several places where there is obviously supposed to be something mounted there but there isn't. The diagrams in the shop manual seem pretty detailed but I may be asking for some "recon photos" from anyone here who can zoom on on various areas that the manual doesn't show. I'll make a list of these later on but one that immediately comes to mind is the mounting for the crankcase breather tank. It's just lying in the V with only the hose to the valve cover connected. Right now the fairings are all removed and the air box is off. I plan to properly route the breather hoses and do the PAIR removal mod while I'm in there.

So that's my project bike at the moment. I'll keep everyone posted and I'm happy to take any free advice as I go through this. TIA guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
On the levers, try loosening the bar mounts and rotating them upward until they miss...if you are like me and run your levers low, it's a simple fix. Personally, I'm not a fan of the stock levers but maybe they fit your hands better than mine...shorty levers were the biggest improvement on the bike feel for me.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
If you take pics of the connector plugs in question, I'm betting someone here will know. I have most of a harness in my bin, I can identify most of the connectors if that can help.
Getting the harness in the right spots will definitely reduce chaffing and grounding, ask me how I figured that out.
I used the manual, along with staring at the possible routes on my bike as I'm lowering the tank or putting the radiators back on or hanging the fairings.

About the many cracks in the plastics you mentioned, are they OEM or aftermarket?

If you can get a wire to jump the green service connector, you can read all the stored failure codes in the ECU. But they may not all be relevant. Try clearing the stored codes, then try to start the bike and see if you get new codes.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Where's my manners? Welcome to the forum!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi guys, a few updates.

During an attempted short ride the other day the throttle cables jumped off of the spool. I was able to limp the bike home and discovered that the cables sheath screws were not tightened in to the bracket. I also discovered that the the cables were routed on the outside of the fork tubes, rather than the inside as shown in the manual. Finally straightened that out yesterday.

During disassembly, I discovered a few more surprises. The plastic blowby tank was just sitting in the V area with no hose connecting it to the air box. Both fittings on the bottom of the of the airbox were cut off and plugged. (I assume the other one is for the PAIR?) Also,the drain tube was routed toward the front of the engine. I removed the tank, cleaned it, rerouted the drain tube to where it belongs and I plan to re-open the hole in the airbox and size it so that a hose will fit snugly into it. I still don't see what the tank is attached to under there but with the hoses in place I don't see it going anywhere.

The flapper and all hardware is completely removed and snorkel patched up (ugly job but functional) and I assume the PAIR mod has been done also since the air port for that was plugged and I don't see any tubing under there. Haven't located the reed valves yet, but I need to make sure they are epoxied or otherwise secured and I need to track down the vacuum sources for both of these systems to insure that they are plugged.

After my fiddlings in the throttle body area, I began exploring the front harness area and got most everything unplugged. He has a makeshift circuit to run those fans spliced in and I have yet to unwrap all the tape from those splices. Hopefully nothing in the harness is critically damaged from this. Once I get that figured out, I'll begin re routing the wires properly and I'll have some pics here is I get stumped about connections etc. I'll resume work on this tomorrow afternoon.

The plastic APPEARS to be stock as it had the standard red/silver paint with black wing paint scheme. The side fairings are actually in decent shape overall, some scratches and a pipe burn on the bottom of the right one. The bracket that the bottom, rear of the right fairing attaches to is missing so the plastic contacts the pipe, so I definitely need that bracket. As of now, the burn damage is minimal and can be dremeled/touched up. The pieces that are a bit more damaged are the front and pillion. Repeated contact from the aftermarket brake and clutch levers has cracked the edges of the front fairing, and there's a lot of repair work inside the headlight area. The right headlight lower mount is not attached ...repair work broke. The pillion has a couple sizeable cracks on the top, just above the attachment screws. I'll post some pics of all this before too long. In the meantime, I just ordered a ton of Plastex and I guess we'll see how my repair skills fare LOL. Edit to add: The lower inner piece behind the front wheel is missing, will be looking for one of those. Anybody have one?

I'm SOOOOOOOOOO glad I have a Honda shop manual for this. I've had Clymer ones on my other bikes and if that's all I had here, I'd be utterly LOST with running these wires. What I think is funny is that the guy who did all this HAD THE MANUAL--the solution to the puzzle-- and still ran the harness willy-nilly! It's going to be a tedious process but I'm pretty confident that I will be able to figure most of this out.

Last edited by Half a V4; 02-10-2015 at 08:45 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Man, I hope you got the bike for a song. That thing sounds really boogered up, probably the worst one I've read about in a long time. But it sounds like you have a good handle on making it right. If you get stumped feel free to ask or post up some pictures, we're pretty good at pointing people in the right direction and calling out what's not OEM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Welcome.

Hate to be Debbie Downer, but someone needs to be the voice of reason.

Part that pig out. And buy a nice one. My low mileage bike bought for $4500 is a blast to ride and needed nothing. All I've done is fiddle with the suspension settings. And ride it.

You get what you pay for most of the time. I have 2 Zx7s in pieces. Come get em! I'll never get them back together.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 02:03 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Sounds as if you'll get it right, but you will probably find yourself spending a fair bit to do so. If you bought it from a dealer, I'd take it back & get a refund if I were you...
If you bought it privately, then sadly you've been had, unless you got it cheap.

Front lower cowl you will probably have to buy new. Is the cowl piece under the headlight intact? That's also expensive to replace. Most plugs are self-explanatory on where they go once you route wires correctly and they're also color coded. You should be able to use a soldering iron and shrink wrap. Don't use insulating tape except for attaching wires along the length of the loom.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Danoh,

Believe me I considered parting it out, but that would involve...ummmm...parting it out! A MAJOR pita (had to do it to my Maxim a few years ago).

I'm confident that the main components of the bike are sound. If it had a bad engine or trans I would part it out, but it's not that bad. The 2 major problem areas are the wiring and to some extent the plastic. While sorting these out will incur some expense and be somewhat time consuming, I still prefer that over just giving up on a viable bike.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Stig,

Yeah, I was had but it's my own fault for not inspecting the bike well enough. Clearly, I should have walked away. But I'm not going to cry about it now....there's work to do.

I already bought a ton of shrink wrap and with the diagrams and some patience I expect I'll have this done fairly soon. I'll start on the plastic once the Plastex arrives and decide what to do about the headlight mount. Thanks for the advice on everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode