Indicator & Brake Light Issues - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Indicator & Brake Light Issues

I am putting a bike back together that was cosmetically destroyed and having a few issues…

#1 Indicators: I am not getting any response when I try and use the indicator on the cluster or to the signals. I know the left controls are working because the high beam light will register on the cluster…although no headlights are installed yet. I installed a new cluster along with an under tail and I am 99% sure the indicators are wired correctly. I do not have indicators on the front yet. If the lights are not wired correct should it still register on the cluster?

#2 Brake lights: When using the front brake the lights come on but only for the first ¼” of the throw…then they go off. Any thoughts? The guy I purchased this project from installed some shitty levers but not sure if that’s the issue?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I would start with installing a known good relay for the signals. The relay is in the trunk area near the rear taillight. (Normally)

There's a little switch under the brake master that the brake handle pushes to make the brake lights come on. It has two leads attached. I guess I would test those leads with a multi-meter to see if the switch is somehow loosing power or contact during the throw of the brake handle. Other than that, it's just about testing and inspecting the associated wiring.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply! Is the signal relay the one the right or left? The other is for the ignition correct? Would a bad relay prevent the signal indicator from registering on the cluster?

Thanks again!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Good advice JD9. Pretty straight forward.

OP. Your answers begin in the service manual. Plus there is no way to know if any more specific wiring advice is correct since so many bikes have messed up wiring and routing, which you need to determine for your own bike. Use the proper SP1 or SP2 diagrams. And make sure you are correct by doing some basic testing.

I can't help specifically on the signals as my bike is much too apart for a check. So without any other input which is not really needed, wait to test signal lights and dash indicator until everything is hooked up first. The manual again has info to evaluate once you test.

The front brake light issue is quite easy to at least initially diagnose before coming for advice, which may be why it has been quiet. It's hard to give advice until basic assessments are done. As mentioned, look, identify, examine. Find the lever switch, examine it with the aftermarket levers and their usage, then test the switch if needed.

The service manual is the bible, start there, and let us know what doesn't work from it. Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 02-26-2015 at 11:48 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode