Sorry, more newbie questions... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Sorry, more newbie questions...

Is there anything special we need to do in order to install new wheel bearings?

The bike I have came with a stretched rear swingarm. The chain makes contact with it. Is there suppose to be a "guide" or something there so it doesn't damage the chrome?

I had another question but I cannot remember right now.

Last night, I removed the wiring harness's and cooling pipes. I found a bolt missing on the left side of the bike that holds the motor in place. Oh Geez! I wanted to go wire by wire to ensure the harness is good but also to make room to see anything and everything else. Glad I did, bolts missing usually isn't good LOL. Should we use lock tite on the main bolts or just torque them and let them go?

Last question, the radiators have rubber grommets that on the top and a hole in the frame. I am assuming there should be nutserts there?

Sorry for the tedious questions guys. If you need pictures of what I am talking about let me know.

Canty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
No, just use a reliable wheel bearing removal tool to avoid scarring up your wheels.

"Un-stretch" it and look at the wheel assy diagram in the manual you down loaded. That will show you what is missing.

Use a small dab of blue loc-tite on critical bolts and those exposed to a lot of vibration. (Which is almost all of them.)

Yes, the grommets have inserts.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Stretched swingarm? I'm so sorry!

Contact sbkdrew to get your swinger corrected.

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6766

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Come one guys...cut me some slack. Like dad said, different strokes for different folks. I am not a stretched frame kinda guy. However, I bought it already stretched. And for a bike with less than 3k on the odometer and the price I paid, I think I got a good deal. I am not a track day rider, I am more of a cruise to the local starbucks or bike night kinda guy. All in all, I would not of stretched it but hopefully this picture will load and you will see, it doesn't look to bad. It isn't a huge stretch either. Anyway, if the picture loads, this is the bike on day one, right after I unloaded it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	RC51.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	81897
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:45 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Few things...

- Stretched swingarm ? That is just wrong.
- Your missing half your front brakes as well, also wrong.

Got some work to do on that poor thing.

Good luck with that.

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Holy crap! I just noticed the front brake...your right, I only have one side. However, I do not have any missing lines. In fact I already flushed, changed, and bled the fluid so I have no idea what's going on. I will take a good look tonight. Its possible that the previous owner modified it for some unknown reason. Could you post a good picture of your bike brake set up, line routing etc.? I have the manual but it really doesn't show a good photo of it.
Canty
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:22 AM

Are those real carbon fairings, or a wrap?

The RC51 is a race bike, (ok, the street legal RC51's are copies of real race bikes, still), won a fair amount of races and championships with some great riders. I don't understand the mentality of stretching such a bike. It's like taking a corvette and making a limo out of it. Completely flies in the face of what the bike was engineered for. Anyhow, I don't mean to bash on you, if you like it, go with it.

To answer your questions, the normal swingarm does have a thick plastic guide for the chain and the SP2 radiators have a third mounting point, you can use the parts schematics from any OEM supplier to figure that out.
I use http://www.hollisterpowersports.com/ to research parts, because they list the sizes of the bolts you need. Whether or not you buy from them is up to you, frankly there are better prices on other sites.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:23 AM

If you have a Honda service manual, the very first section is loaded with illustrations for reference. You'll see how the brakes are supposed to be.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Yes, just looked at the service manual, looks like from the brake lever it goes into a junction/distribution block? I am assuming the previous owner blocked this, however I wont know till I get home for sure. Looks like I am not looking for a new right side caliper and rotor. No worries, bit by bit I am putting it back together.

I agree on the race bike=bad idea for stretching, but like I said, it was a SWEET price for a <3k bike. I have looked up a nutsert tool which should fix the radiator mount problem. I need to start looking for that chain guide. I doubt I can use the factory since the swing arm is not stock anymore.

And I didn't feel like you (or anyone) was bashing me. Underneath the opinions voiced, you all are happy someone is taking the time and effort and money to restore/rebuild a good RC! Come on...admit it.

Last edited by Canty; 03-11-2015 at 10:31 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Okay gents let's be honest here. I know many of you have a longer swing arm than stock. Duckie your one of them, how's that SP2 working out for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode