Newbie with overheating. please help. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Newbie with overheating. please help.

So I finally have managed to find the bike I have wanted for 10 years! A clean 2005 with low miles.
The previous owner has done some work. Supposedly stahl fans, the fan switch mod and other cosmetics.

so I took the bike out for my first ride, on the highway, it got up to 230 while doing atleast 70 miles an hour?!?!?!

When I got off the highways and encountered street traffic... damn thing shot up to 250?!?!?!?!?!?

So I pulled over and turned it off.. waited about 20 mins and returned home?

Did I buy a brick? did I do harm to the engine? (it seemed to run fine when restarted).

Any thoughts.. any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I love the bike.. don't know what to do here. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:04 AM
GWS

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Welcome to the RC51 community.

I'm not an expert in this area, but there are a few things you should check. Firstly, the RC should not reach 230 at 70 mph. It will be around 190ish on a not so hot day. What did the previous owner say?

-test/change engine/water temperature sensor! It may be that simple; if the sensor is faulty.
-Check radiator fluid level
-Flush system
-Change radiator fluid
-Burp the system to get the air out
-check to make sure the cap closes properly. It needs to prevent air from getting in.
-test the fans (were they on when you pulled over?)(should not need fans at high speed)
-test direction of fan flow (OEM fans blow air from the inside out, which can cancel air flow around 30mph. More powerful fans may cancel air flow at higher speeds. Aftermarket fans are commonly used to reverse the flow of OEM for this reason, so the work well at all speeds)
-remove fans to make sure the rad fins under the fans are okay (common damage with Stahl fans)

At the heart of the issue; something is preventing cool rad fluid from reaching the engine, and with some diligence you will figure it out.
-

Last edited by GWS; 03-12-2015 at 01:07 AM.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

gws.. thanks so much. Im not very handy. but I think I can check some of these things.

Did I do harm to it. by getting up to to250 in traffic?

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:49 AM
GWS

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I would assume its fine
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:43 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Welcome.

250 F = 121 Deg C - which should still be fine I'd expect, but you're getting close to damaging a head gasket at this temp, probably. I'd avoid letting it get so hot.
Your oil is also probably hotter & quite thin at that temp too...So I'd do an oil change as well as coolant check, etc.

Fans should come on at 100 Deg C, which is around 210 - 215 F. If it doesn't come on, then you need to figure out why...

Keep an eye on the coolant and if it drops, find out why...A pressure test is one way to do so.

I've never tried to connect the two terminals of my temp sensor together for the fan on the SP2 (not sure if there are even any, someone will confirm soon, I expect - but that's a classic way to check for car fans and if they're working or not - rather than letting it get to temp first...

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

The guy i bought it from had the fan switch mod on it. Im beginning to suspect, he had the fan switch mod on, because the fan was not coming on automatically. I did not know this, and rode the bike with the fan in the off position.

in any case, im dropping it off at the shop.. and dealer is going to take me to the cleaners. rrrrrr

but i do love this bike!
keep you all posted.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polivo1 View Post
The guy i bought it from had the fan switch mod on it. Im beginning to suspect, he had the fan switch mod on, because the fan was not coming on automatically. I did not know this, and rode the bike with the fan in the off position.

in any case, im dropping it off at the shop.. and dealer is going to take me to the cleaners. rrrrrr

but i do love this bike!
keep you all posted.
Change the oil straight away after getting that hot, especially if you run dino oil.

Did you just change the coolant recently? I'd check to see if it is low or has air in it, just to be safe too.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

just rode the bike the way I received it.is currently at the shop they're doing an oil change and coolant flush and diagnostics with the temperature will keep you posted
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm from Texas and I see 230 often. In Austin traffic I seen 254 and pulled off. Some have said the temp light doesn't come on until 260 idk but I have yet to see mine. I would still pull off at 240 and over and let cool. To help I use engine ice and it helps some but not great. Haven't tried fins or scoops yet. Hope that helps

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

well at the very least You made me feel better. the bike got up to 250, i thought it was dead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode