Busted Speedometer - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Busted Speedometer

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and knows how to fix it:

After 4 years of sitting due to installation of new pistons and cams (long story), I've got my SP2 up and running again. The only problem at this point is the digital display: none of the LCD items (tach, speed, ODO) work. The FI, low fuel, and bottom row of lights all work as expected, so it's just a problem with the LCD items. I've got the whole display apart right now messing with it, trying to figure out what might be wrong. So if you have any ideas or maybe even know how to repair such a thing, please let me know. (New display costs about $500, so hoping to avoid that).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 01:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I believe @TheCaracal can help on this one.......

My Öhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
If you look at the service manuals you can find ways of testing the circuits at the harness where it plugs into the back of the display. Doing it with one circuit should tell you where you need to look.

My speedo reads 0mph while everything else works. I've replaced the sensor but have not yet taken apart the front end to start checking there. Previously, it would read for a while then stop so testing it sometimes would not have been productive at all. A member here was selling the circuit board from inside the display so I sent him the $$. Hoping to have it working in a few weeks.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinCtown View Post
If you look at the service manuals you can find ways of testing the circuits at the harness where it plugs into the back of the display. Doing it with one circuit should tell you where you need to look.
I did all the checks on the wiring that goes into the back of the unit. In other words, I checked that power, GND, and continuity on the plug pins all checked out, as the manual describes. The plug is fine. I think the actual problem is with either the LCD display, the IC that controls it, or the circuits between the two.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
There is a tiny piece of rubber with wires embedded in it that fits between the two circuit boards just like in an old 80's Texas Instrument calculator. You can separate the two boards and then clean the two areas that mate with the rubber piece with contact cleaner and then reassemble the units. This solves 95% of the conditions like you have indicated.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
There is a tiny piece of rubber with wires embedded in it that fits between the two circuit boards just like in an old 80's Texas Instrument calculator. You can separate the two boards and then clean the two areas that mate with the rubber piece with contact cleaner and then reassemble the units. This solves 95% of the conditions like you have indicated.
That is awesome info. Will have to give that a try on mine. If that solves my issues then it is one huge worry off my chest.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the advice LDH; I have the display separated out from the circuit board, so I'll try that out.

By the way: I was a member on Rogue once I got my RC in '07. Got a lot of good tips and advice off that board; thanks for running it! Most sport bike enthusiasts probably think the 51 is past due, but I still love mine and plan to keep it forever.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Cheers bro!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd51 View Post
Hey, thanks for the advice LDH; I have the display separated out from the circuit board, so I'll try that out.

By the way: I was a member on Rogue once I got my RC in '07. Got a lot of good tips and advice off that board; thanks for running it! Most sport bike enthusiasts probably think the 51 is past due, but I still love mine and plan to keep it forever.
OMG LDH® feels the same way! He won't say it, but his actions say more than his loudly typed words
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bummer; looks like I'm in the 5%, no dice on this solution.

The display did work on the first ride, but was glitchy; the LCD portions would blink on and off a little. Then on the second ride, no LCD stuff worked; just the LED's at the bottom of the display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode