Clutch issues? Any ideas? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clutch issues? Any ideas?

I have a 2002 RC51 SP2 that I got in a trade not to long ago. Not long after I got the bike the clutch started to slip. The bike has 24k on it so I figured it was the OEM clutch. So I ordered and installed a Barnett kit with new judder plates/springs and replaced the clutch center due to the contact face being so worn looking... The flywheel looked fine... Clutch basket looks fine with no grooves... I also rebuilt the master and slave cylinders just because the fluid was black and the seals ended up being in bad shape. Soo after all this the clutch grabs HARD when cold but once the bike is up in operating temp it will start to slip bad... I did soak the disc in Mobile Racing 4T 10w40 (what previous owner said he used every time) before install and a fresh oil change with install.... I figured maybe it was the oil.... Changed it to OEM Honda GN4 10w40 and it is still doing the same thing? Anybody have any clue? Any differences between the SP1 and SP2 clutch or baskets besides the first friction disc and the judder plates? I have done just about everything I can think of and am wanting to light the bike on fire! Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
First off it ain't the oil.
I've run Mobil-1 4T 10W40 in all my bikes for years with no problem whatsoever.

What's the master cylinder fluid level?
If it's too full, there may not enough space for the fluid to expand, causing pressure to build up in the slave cylinder.

For the SP2 clutch, did you make sure you ordered the special innermost friction plate with a larger I.D. that fits around the judder spring and seat?

And did you install the outermost plate in the shallow grooves and not in the full length grooves the rest of the plates fit into?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Yes I have the larger inner diameter odd ball disc to have room for the judder plates and what not. The last disc to install is in the shallow groove. I have used that same Mobile on all my bikes ans previous bikes and never once had an issue so I figured it wasn't that but it was my last guess... The clutch fluid level is in the middle between low and full...

Last edited by Week_Dizzle; 04-06-2015 at 04:04 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
It is probably some other problem, but I can tell you beyond any shadow of doubt that I have had Mobil1 "Racing 4T" oil cause more clutch slippage issues in my motorcycles than ANY other brand of oil. That stuff is slick slick slick. It has caused clutch slippage issues in my 9000RR, RC51 and a YZF1000.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else have and ideas? The weather is beautiful and not being able to ride is killing me!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Clutch slave issue? Associated parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode