Won't start and trouble with turn signals - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Won't start and trouble with turn signals

Ok, so I've tried looking through other posts so as not to waste your time but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I have an '04 SP2 NH edition. No Power Commander.

I changed the oil and winterized at the end of the Fall. I put fuel stabilizer in the tank and I'm almost sure, but not entirely positive, that I started it up and ran it with that in there to get down to the injectors. Had it on a battery tender on and off through the Winter but was a bad boy and didn't start it for a couple months.

It will turn over just fine but no fire at all. Not even a little bit. Hooked it up to a battery charger and ran it so I don't think it's a battery issue necessarily. Thoughts on this issue?

The other problem I've had for a couple years. When I first fired up the bike the turn signals would work just fine. The lights are all on and work. Then after about 5-10 minutes, the signal lights would go out when I hit the signal switch. When I flipped it off, they lit back up.

If you guys have any ideas for me I would be much obliged.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
With the key on make sure kill switch is set to run and you hear the fuel pump prime.

If so, go through the bike won't start troubleshooting guide in the service manual.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
With the key on make sure kill switch is set to run and you hear the fuel pump prime.

If so, go through the bike won't start troubleshooting guide in the service manual.
Thanks. I'll try that.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Sounds like your turn signal relay is failing. I've had them do just what you said.
How old is your battery? How much voltage does your battery show after a couple hours of rest, after your attempt to start the bike? If you don't have at least 12VDC, your bike probably wont start.
It's because the starter takes so much voltage while cranking, there's not enough left for the ECU to do its job.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm surprised nobody mentioned to check the blinker fluid. What other reason could there be when the blinkers only work intermittently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode