Milky oil...CRAP!!! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Milky oil...CRAP!!!

Alright guys, gotz me anutha issue. After we finally got the bike running I changed the oil and filter, even dropped the pan and covers to inspect. Everything looked good. Did a compression test and had 155psi on each cylinder. Today, since I had my new gaskets finally arrive, I drained the oil and BOOM! MILKY OIL. I tried to take a picture but my old as dirt iPhone won't allow anymore pictures due to some weird memory thing. Anyway, I can say that I filled the bike full of water only and the water pump gasket was trashed when I first started it. That is why I ordered a new one. Before I tear the heads off this bike answer me this. What should the psi per head be? If 155 is right then I know the head gaskets are correct. Question 2, if the water pump gasket was trashed, could water by pass the gasket and get in to the crankcase? And finally question 3, if psi is right and water cant enter the oil from the water pump, where would you suggest I look next?
Canty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Correction...160psi on rear cylinder, and 145 on front. I removed the PAIR valve on the front so I could get to the spark plug easier and when I did there was moisture under it, nothing terrible but enough to clearly notice. Man...I hope I don't have to pull the head off the front cylinder!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Well I guess we know why it doesn't run right.

Flush with fresh oil and see if the milkshake comes back.

Sorry can't be much help on this one.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

It did. When I first drained the oil it was milky. I didn't think much of it because the bike hasn't been driven since 2013. Well, since the milkshake as you call it is back, I think there is an issue. I am thinking of pulling the front head anyway just to check it out.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

I am looking at the manual, and can't see clearly on if the coolant circles the cylinders in the block or in the head or both? Anyone know for sure?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Head is off. Gasket doesn't look terrible. I noticed some scuffing on the cylinder wall. Nothing terrible, just not suppose to be there. Right now, I am stumped. I have no idea where the water is coming from...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Here is an idea. The right crankcase cover doesn't have a gasket...is that correct? I am looking at the diagram and not seeing one. Also, can number 7 wear out? I am thinking that the leak was right at the water pump inside the crank case. Mixing with the oil there and then the pump spraying it everywhere. That is the best idea I have currently and it is the only place that I can see that things are not "good". By good I mean that it looks as though it could be an issue based on the gasket/silicone material. Plus, unless Honda was using orange RTV I am pretty sure the cover and water pump area had been removed once before.
Cany
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to add the diagram. But for some reason this site says it is to large so here is the link. Hope it works.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...VER/parts.html
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
There are two passages between the engine and water pump that are simple thin wall aluminum sleeves sealed via o-rings at the right crankcase junction. My inclination would be to look there first. The sleeves do not fit snugly in there without the o-rings so if something corroded or failed (sleeve or o-ring)- seems the coolant could get into the oil fairly easily. I have heard others say that the little sleeves can get pretty corroded. You can see them in the attached pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	84393  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottm View Post
There are two passages between the engine and water pump that are simple thin wall aluminum sleeves sealed via o-rings at the right crankcase junction. My inclination would be to look there first. The sleeves do not fit snugly in there without the o-rings so if something corroded or failed (sleeve or o-ring)- seems the coolant could get into the oil fairly easily. I have heard others say that the little sleeves can get pretty corroded. You can see them in the attached pic
If the failure is there will water drip from that hose at the water pump cover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode