Help! Trouble shifting through 3rd and 4th - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! Trouble shifting through 3rd and 4th

04 with 30k miles. Ive only had the bike about three months but it seems to have been well taken care of. recently ive been having this intermittent issue where 3rd and sometimes 4th gear get stuck. when it happens the shifter will not click to the next gear no matter how hard I push with my foot. eventually when I slow down and blip the throttle I can finesse it into the next gear. I ride daily to and from work about 10 miles each way. some days it will shift flawlessly and others it will act up multiple times. im cosiddering the Evo shift kit either way but I don't just want to cover up the real issue. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 08:24 PM
GWS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Your clutch is likely worn. Why don't you try replacing the discs. If the PO, or you, is hard on the clutch it will fail faster than normal.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Check shifter for binding. Also in my experience, I sometimes had trouble shifting a gear. Turns out I had my shifter a little too low and it wasn't releasing fully from the previous shift with my foot in the way underneath it. A way to see if that is happening is if you have trouble shifting move your foot out completely off the rearset and then go back and try to shift. If it works, that is likely your issue.

Those two suggestions would tend to happen in other gears as well though, but still people sometimes have some unique shifting habits in certain gears.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 04-14-2015 at 09:58 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking clutch too. However It did happen on one occasion when I was shifting without the clutch. I guess that still doesn't rule it out entirely. I did put some aftermarket rearsets on which seem to be adjusted properly and moving freely. Every now and then it will also accidentally go into neutral when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I think lazy shifting on my part is more to blame than anything. either way im trying to get the bike in tip top shape so I plan on replacing the clutch, anything that may be broken or worn in the shifting mechanics and possibly installing an Evo shift kit while im in there if I can afford it all. I guess im trying to get an idea of what might need replaing if anything. does the shift kit really make a big improvement? $180 seems like a lot for a couple bits of metal and a spring. thanks for the input
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Thumbs up It is a nice improvement

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews, 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobo View Post
Awesome!! : ) It is a hard procedure to swap out for a slipper clutch?
This was for a factory pro shift star install but should help

wingnutt
Senior Member Join Date: Apr 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now,I posted in the group buy how I got mine installed.

Drain coolant/oil.

First I borrowed the 30 mm socket from a buddy,too F'kn bad it was a 6 point

Enter the pie tin shim for my 12 pt. 1 1/4 NO... I don't condone this but I wanted to ride !!!

Remove cover the whole thing.

Evenly loosen the spring bolts.

Take a # 2 phillips and while holding the tip into one of the threaded spring holes slide the plate stack on to the shaft of the screwdriver and set aside.

Dont lose the button.

Take a small flatblade screwdriver and pick the peened part of the nut so it can turn.

Put the bike in first and toss a log 2X4 or hockey stick between the spokes and the swing arm turn the basket counter clockwise to remove the chain slack and use an impact to remove the nut.

Do not let anyone touch your clutch lever !!!

Remove your shift lever.

Slide the shift rod out a ways.

Remove your star.

Remove the arm.

Carefully mate the pin/hole relationship of the star and drum.

Hold the star against the shaft and hand tighten the bolt you MUST KNOW that the pin is aligned at this point.

Torque the star.

Fit the spring to the arm and nest the free end against the case. Thread this bolt by hand keeping the spring tension away from the bolt while threading in place.

Install basket noteing with correct torque the old peened spot is just to the right of it's original position...re peen the nut.

take your phillips and plate stack and install the plates, noting that the last plate goes in different fingers than the rest.

Install the button and evenly tighten the basket cover.

Slide your shift rod into place and install your cleaned and siliconed cover.

Install your shift lever.

Remove log.

Add oil.

Add coolant.
Fire the pig - up and go bang some wheelies !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode