02 RC51 - Dear God, Please Help Me! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
02 RC51 - Dear God, Please Help Me!

First post, lots of problems! (apologies in advance for the long post)

I recently picked up an 02 RC51 WITH 9400 original miles for a song, but it was not running. After really getting into this beast, Ive come to the conclusion that its been sitting for some time (a few years I think). So far I've done basics like change the oil, new plugs, flush the hydraulic clutch sytem, and flush the coolant.

After getting the bike home I immediately noticed my fuel pump wasn't priming. I pulled the service manual and tested all the appropriate sensors and the checked the wiring to the pump. Decided the pump itself was bad (due to neglect) and ordered a new one. While I had the pump out, I cleaned up the surface rust and sealed the tank with POR-15. I installed the new pump and, hooray, it primes. I refilled the tank with new premium fuel and added in some Seafoam for good measure.

The bike will now start if I give it a little throttle, but not idle. I tried adjusting the Idle Control screw, but it doesnt seem to be making a difference (yes im using the choke as well). It is also running really rich with some white smoke coming out of the pipes, so I know its dumping to much fuel. I initally thought it was a TPS problem due to an FI light (all cleared now), but I checked the connection and it was just loose.

The odd thing I noticed (which brings me to where I'm at now with the bike) is that it will start and idle just fine when its cold, but it starts stalling out the warmer it gets. When taking it for a short test ride, it stays running under throttle (although it jumps and jerks a good bit), but stalls when coming to a stop.

I'm in the process (and dear god is it a process) of removing the airbox to get at the injectors. Ive come to the conclusion that I either have a stuck open injector or a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Any tips on testing FPR? Any help, support, advice you guys can give me on this would be awesome, because I feel like I'm taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
pull the vacuum line off it and watch your gas drip out then order a new one.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

New FPR ordered lol. It was leaking pretty good, so the diaphram must me shot to hell.

As far as cleaning the injectors, what should I be looking for? Ive never had to do it before, so this is virgin territory for me. Can I soak them in some good gas and fuel injector cleaner, or is it a more intensive process. I unfortunatly dont have anywhere nearby that can clean them with ultrasonics,so thats not an option.

I only want to have to do this job once, so I want to do it as well as I can with the tools at my dispoal.

Thanks again for the help

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
Pull the injectors and take them to a place that will have them cleaned in an ultrasonic bath.

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
^ There's probably a few decent fuel injector "how-to" cleaning guides over on youtube that you could check out. With all of the fueling troubles you're describing, it might not be a bad idea to have a shop flow/bench test your injectors to ensure that they are still within spec...g'luck!

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
See how it runs first
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Since I'll be cleaning my injectors soon I was looking into this

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...4_and_08-0595/

A bit pricey so I might just send the injectors over to these guys as I've heard very good things

https://www.rceng.com
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Just FYI, white smoke is normally not from running too rich. I've only ever seen white smoke from water, light blue from oil, or a brownish color from too much fuel.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Yea, the white smoke has me a little worried. My initial thought was that it was burning off crud from sitting for so long or that it was running rich, but I'm not so sure now. It only does it at start-up and then stops after the initial puff of smoke. Could it be excess mouisture in my fuel? Its fresh premium fuel with seafoam in it. I also didn't see any oil or fuel in my airbox when I was removing it last night. I'm taking the injectors out tonight for cleaning. Is there anything I can be looking for while I'm in there concerning the smoke? I'm not the most expereinced in this area, so any advice is welcome. Thanks again for all the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode