Its doing that thing again man! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Its doing that thing again man!

So, my projects finished, its just passed its MOT too, so Im well chuffed. Its now taxed, Insured and on a full tank of fuel.

So i thought, time to take this bad boy out. Stayed pretty local, everything fine, running sweet, temperature fine.

Then, I come to a nice long stretch and decide to put the beast through its paces. Next thing i know, the more the revs build up, the wetter my right leg gets!! Pissed off man. The higher up the rev range i went, the coolant was spraying out everywhere! Just like last year!

For those of you who didnt fall asleep during my winter project, I took off both rads and and the overflow pipe, ran a power hose through them to check for blockages.........there were none.

Im at my wits end man!

Honda SP1.5 owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
That sucks. It isn't too surprising unfortunately. It had symptoms of a blockage/constriction, but no blockage was found in when you checked the rads and overflow. That would indicate there appeared to be a blockage/constriction somewhere else in the system. Since it is on the right side, perhaps some people with good knowledge of the coolant system setup can give some advice. I don't know those details.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

Last edited by kwtoxman; 04-16-2015 at 04:58 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks man, but its leaking out of the coolant lid, which is on the right side. Thats why my right leg got wet, lol.

B4 anyone asks, the lid is the right pressure bar

Honda SP1.5 owner

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Could be a bad head gasket causing pressurising of the coolant system? I've seen this before on a car that was badly overheated and losing coolant / Pressurising the coolant system.

Do a pressure test - a special cap is put onto the radiator and pressurised with a pump.
Then look to see if there's any coolant seeping into one of the cylinders.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Could be a bad head gasket causing pressurising of the coolant system? I've seen this before on a car that was badly overheated and losing coolant / Pressurising the coolant system.

Do a pressure test - a special cap is put onto the radiator and pressurised with a pump.
Then look to see if there's any coolant seeping into one of the cylinders.
Yup seen the exact same thing from the blown head gasket allowing exhaust gases into the cooling system

Can sometimes be hard to detect with a pressure test as it is difficult to replicate the same conditions as a hot engine combined with exhaust pulse through what is sometimes a very tiny break in the head gasket

Last edited by LDH®; 04-16-2015 at 11:45 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

wouldnt the engine be running like shit if it was a head gasket issue?

Honda SP1.5 owner
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Not necessarily. I blew the headgasket on my 1000RR at NSS on a day when it was 105° INSIDE the garages in the shade. On the banking at 160 mph it felt like I was riding in a blast furnace and the engine temp was a steady 245-252°.

I finished that day then went to Barber the very next weekend where it was 135° just standing in the paddock and I completed that day by adding a liter of water to the radiator in between track sessions. The bike ran awesome the entire time and I posted some of my fastest times ever that weekend at both tracks. I just had to make sure I kept an eye on the temp gauge and prayed to the god of gription that I didn't fill a cylinder with water at some point and hydrolock it
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Like others have said, it sounds like a classic head gasket weep, I have seen it many times before. Best way to test for it is do a leakdown test on a hot engine. Doesn't always pick it up but most times it will.

Just one other thing to check before that, is the rad cap. You said it is the right pressure, but is it sealing? I have seen ones before which were too short to seal, or had damaged rubber seals. Also just because it is stamped the right pressure, doesn't mean it is. You can check it the same way you pressure test the cooling system; with a special adapter the cap fits into, then pump it up and see what pressure it releases at. Having said that for the cost of a new one, I would by a genuine Honda one and just replace it. Even if it turns out to be a head gasket, I always recommend changing the pressure cap as it will have been overheated and over worked with the gasket failure.

Hope it turns out to be just the cap.

If I wasn't at the opposite end of the country I would be able to help hands on.

2001 RC51 SP1 (modified)
2007 GSXR1000 K6
1994 CBR600 FR (very modified)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Ok, thanks lads, il start with replacing the cap, cos TBH I've just got it all back together and it's time to ride, defo don't have the time or energy to take it all apart again. If it is the gasket it'll need to wait till the next winter project. Will report back when the cap is replaced

Honda SP1.5 owner
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
If you have an old cap, take the seal off it and use it in addition to the one you are using
it has the effect of increasing the preload on the spring a little, just make sure it is all burped properly and the expansion tank isn't overfilled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode