rough running sp2 2002 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Unhappy rough running sp2 2002

Hi all,
Can anyone please help me out I have an sp2 2002 UK spec since I bought her she has been running really rough when shes opened up she is fine but low down she is a rough as a badgers bottom.............. the slow speed is really bad.
she has a PC3 and set up on the rolling road all seemed good, its just low down,
I have had 3 sp1,s and 2 sp2,s before so I know that they are not good low down revs but this one is very bad ,I just cant work it out even my local Honda dealer has no idea whats going on........................

I cleared all the previous error codes today then took her out and yep same bad running and she also stalled for no reason, when I got back after a 6 miles checked for error codes and none showing.

So my question is what other issues / faults could it be that wont be showing of the F1 error check,

I have had her a year now and hardly used her as its not a pleasant ride so any help hints or pointing me in a general direction would be great.

Kind regards Phill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 04:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi Phil,

Have you checked the FPR?

Common issue is fuel leaking through the diaphragm, prime the pump then pull the vac hose off, if fuel comes out it's gone bad. A small leak will cause low rpm issues like you are getting.

Also check for good earth's, and charging voltage.

Good luck.

2001 RC51 SP1 (modified)
2007 GSXR1000 K6
1994 CBR600 FR (very modified)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have a similar issue with my sp1, accept it runs fine but the idle will suddenly drop and she will cut out. I checked the fpr straight away but no leak, can it still be faulty?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi All,
thanks for the suggestions so far I shall start to apply these this weekend and leave replies up here for others with the same problems,
Fingers crossed.........
Thanks again
Regards Phill
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 04:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Do you have a Power Commander fitted?

First thing to check with issues like this is plugs; see if they are fouling up, and check they are in good condition. If they haven't been changed for a while, I would change them.

What is the base idle when it is running normally? Should be around 1200rpm.

If you have a Power Commander, try setting a zero map, or disconnecting temporarily, and see if it still does it.

Also check your battery and earth connections are good.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiffer View Post
I have a similar issue with my sp1, accept it runs fine but the idle will suddenly drop and she will cut out. I checked the fpr straight away but no leak, can it still be faulty?

2001 RC51 SP1 (modified)
2007 GSXR1000 K6
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillcbx View Post
Hi All,
thanks for the suggestions so far I shall start to apply these this weekend and leave replies up here for others with the same problems,
Fingers crossed.........
Thanks again
Regards Phill
Hi Phil,

If you don't have any luck, and fancy a trip down to Cornwall, I would be happy to take a look. I have a fair few spares that can be tried as well.

2001 RC51 SP1 (modified)
2007 GSXR1000 K6
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Brit rc,
Thanks for the very kind offer mate that's nice to know, I have another SP2 track bike which runs fine, so I have that for reference but need to swop over items 1 at a time as a last resort.
I shall try your suggestions first as they make sence,
Thanks again
Cheers Phill
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I would suspect the PFC first. Disconnect it, take it for a ride and see if it's better. If so, something is wrong with the mapping, or firmware.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritRC View Post
Do you have a Power Commander fitted?

First thing to check with issues like this is plugs; see if they are fouling up, and check they are in good condition. If they haven't been changed for a while, I would change them.

What is the base idle when it is running normally? Should be around 1200rpm.

If you have a Power Commander, try setting a zero map, or disconnecting temporarily, and see if it still does it.

Also check your battery and earth connections are good.

Hope this helps.
Sorry phil, I hope you don't mind me adding to your thread, I can start a separate one if you like?
Thanks BritRC, I do have a Power commander and I will disconnect it tonight to see if that removes the problem.i adjusted my idle to 1400rpm, I checked my battery connections/leads and they seem fine and I cleaned up earth points, I haven't looked at the plugs yet, shouldn't need changing as they have only done about 2000 miles.

Last edited by Wiffer; 04-28-2015 at 03:06 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 05:48 AM

Might be a stupid question but does the position of relays on our bikes matter, do they have to be mounted upright? the PO had cut away a lot of the original plastic to fit an undertray and the plastic relay lugs are gone so I think my relays are on their side. just a random thought as I know some old types of relays were position sensitive?

Last edited by Wiffer; 04-28-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode