Help - I removed my Datatool System 3 alarm - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Help - I removed my Datatool System 3 alarm

Oh dear, oh dear. I spent three hours (not the 20-mins suggested by some) un-plumbing my Datatool System 3 alarm from the RC51 this weekend. The principle was simple. Remove all the wires from the Datatool unit that feed into the loom/starter relay and so forth and reconnect any breaks in the original wiring. Sounds simple enough.

But what I'm left with is electrical power but no fuel injection priming or starter motor. Dead as a dodo. I suspect that there's some tricksy bit of wiring related to the immobilising aspect of the alarm, hence why the fuel injection and starter motor have gone AWOL.

Of course, an RC51-owning Datatool installer would be the ideal respondee but I'd love to hear from anyone with some top tips. I wanted the alarm off the bike because it chows down on battery power and I wanted to reduce potential electrical faults. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Unfortunately my friend it is as simple as splicing the cut wires back together. I've lost count of the number of mates and my own bikes I have removed alarms from.

You need to go back and check the continuity of all the wires you have reconnected. Either you have miss connected the wires, or you haven't connected one/some.

I take it you have soldered the joints? Not to cast aspersions on your soldering ability, but are all the joints good?

Hope this helps.

2001 RC51 SP1 (modified)
2007 GSXR1000 K6
1994 CBR600 FR (very modified)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks but one more question

BritRC, thanks for that validation. One more question though. Having re-soldered original cut wires that the Datatool was plumbed into, is it also possible that the installer cut wires that were not explicitly tied into the alarm? That's what Ive read elsewhere, with those cut wires wrapped and hidden away. That would mean me unwrapping the loom to find them. Thoughts?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

A decent installer will cut the immobiliser wiring back so it can't just be exposed and joined back together easily. Most don't bother doing this, a friend was stunned when I bypassed his Clifford alarm in thirty seconds when it went bad on him while he was out, and he called me to help. Had it been properly installed (it was installed by a Clifford certified installer), I would have taken me ages.

The immobiliser wires should go to two places at least, either ECU, fuel pump, starter, ignition. Check continuity on these circuits, it will be one of these that it causing your issue. You should be able to establish this by the location of the wires you have soldered. Bell them out with a circuit tester, and see which ones are open circuit.

Hope this helps.

2001 RC51 SP1 (modified)
2007 GSXR1000 K6
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Tx

Thanks for the good tips. Will tackle this in the next day or two.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Kind of sorted but not quite...Datatool removal

BritRC, so she fires. The issue is strange. Since removing the Datatool the fuel pump takes a few seconds to start priming, not coming straight on as soon as the kill switch is turned on. I had thought she was dead but in fact it was this big pause before the pump primed. Any thoughts on why that might be so? I appreciate the help. Adam
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Sounds like it might be a poor earth or live connection, the pump is the biggest current draw on the bike after the starter
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

I would check your joints on the fuel pump wiring, sounds like high resistance. As Dan says, also check your earth's. Simple rule of thumb, if it was working before you removed the alarm, you have done something wrong. As I said before, not to cast aspersions on your soldering, but it does sound like an issue with a joint.

2001 RC51 SP1 (modified)
2007 GSXR1000 K6
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Thank you gentleman. Reviewing all connections.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
you could try a temporary earth straight onto the pump see if that improves things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode