Camshaft timing confusion - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Camshaft timing confusion

Hey guys, I installed the new rings last night and put the bike back together however, the manual kinda confused me. When dealing with getting the camshafts in time (page 8-20 of thee manual) it says in bold letters "REAR CYLIINDER CAMSHAFTS" Turn Crankshaft counterclockwise to align the FT mark. One, I did not have a "T" only an F. But what really confused me is that it says to check the alignment marks on the FRONT cylinder. Why would the marks on the front cylinder be part of the timing process for the REAR CYLINDER CAMSHAFTS? And vise versa for the front?

Basically, what I did was aligned the F mark and front camshafts then aligned the R mark and the rear camshafts. Is that right?
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
You should have a T. T is what you will use to set the timing and f is the mark you use to for when ignition timing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Can you elaborate a little on that please?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
sorry i should have worded it better, your crank should have an f and t timing mark. Your cams should have a timing mark that aligns with the cylinder so that the line is matched up the top of the cylinder. Just make sure they match up so that when the crank is at T your timing mark on the cam lines up
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

OK, update. I put the crankshaft on FT and checked front cylinder cam alignment and it was good. I spun the crank counter clockwise 1 1/4 turn and found RT and checked the rear cylinder cams were aligned correctly too. So primed the oil as best I could and hit the switch. Fired right up but I here what I think to be rod knock. I torqued the rod caps down to spec as per the manual but my issue was this: that front rod is a bear to get to. Do have any trade secrets or tips for torquing it down? Also, my ft lb wrench starts at 25ftlbs, the manual says to go to 22 I think? Or 29 Nm and my Nm goes to 30 max. So the torque I need is kinda in the middle of both due to the extra 120 degree after torque. Do you think I should stick with my Nm wrench or do you think 25ftlb will be OK? I am leaning towards the Nm but it is such a pain to get in there to those bolts.
Thanks guys,
Canty
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
here is what roger ditchfield sent to me regarding cam timing.

VTR CAM TIMING PROCEDURE

WITH BOTH FRONT CYLINDER AND REAR CYLINDER CAMSHSHAFTS REMOVED (Starting from scratch)

1) Turn C/shaft until FT appears and lines up with the mark on the cover
2) Fit FRONT CYLINDER Exhaust camshaft with the mark FE on the exhaust camwheel level with the c/head and at the front of the bike with the cam chain tight - RIP TIE the chain to the wheel
3) Fit FRONT CYLINDER Inlet camshaft with the mark FI on the camwheel Level with the C/head and to the rear of the bike - RIP TIE the chain to the wheel
THE CAM LOBES WILL NOW BE POINTING AWAY FROM EACH OTHER
4) Fit the cam caps and CCT - CUT THE RIP TIES

5) TURN THE C/SHAFT ANTI CLOCKWISE 270 DEGREES until RT appears and lines up
6) Fit the REAR CYLINDER Inlet cam with the mark RI on the camwheel level with the c/head and pointing to the front of the bike -RIP TIE chain to wheel
7) Fit REAR CYLINDER Exhaust Camshaft with the mark RE on the camwheel level with the c/head and at the rear of the bike with the cam chain tight - RIP TIE chain to wheel
THE CAM LOBES WILL NOW BE POINTING TOWARDS EACH OTHER
8) Fit cam caps and CCT - CUT THE RIP TIES

USEFUL TIP
If you are timing in the frame:- 1) Use the extended line on the FR IN cam wheel as the outer mark as (--- FI) is difficult to see.
2) Mark with a paint spot the back of the tooth on the RR Ex cam wheel as (---RE) is difficult to see so you can clearly see it looking through from the LHS of the bike.
Professionals need not use rip ties

He did say to ignore the CHAIN comments.

Last edited by ogiehooker; 04-30-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: sp
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. That clears up the manual confusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode