RK/Vortex 520 kit question - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RK/Vortex 520 kit question

Stupid question.. however I'm having trouble figuring it out.

I bought a 520 Kit for my RC. Vortex Sprockets, RK chain. I got it in today and went to put it on. All went well until I found out that my chain is too short. I moved my adjusters and am still a link shy. So I laid my chain out next to my old. 1 Link to short. New = 104 Link, Old must be 106 Link.

Is there somewhere I can buy a single link for the gold RK chain, rivet it in and fix this. Or do I need to buy a new 106L chain.

Does anyone have any links kicking around ?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Momma always said if you buy crappy Vortex sprockets and shitty RK chains you'll end up short a link
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for that.

I knew someone would chime in with their infinite wisdom. Appreciate it.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
BrokenRC51. I just purchased a 520 conversion from LDH. He knows his stuff, that's for sure. I will tell you I ran into the same problem you are talking about. My 530 chain was 136 links. My new 520 chain is a total of 138 links. I can only assume that the alteration is due to the sprocket diameter being changed, because a 520 and a 530 have the same pitch (distance between pins) at 15.88mm and roller diameters are almost the same, they are off by only .2mm according to D.I.D. but varies from chain to chain. However most websites say the rollers are 10.16mm for both 520 and 530. The difference is the roller width. 530 is roughly 9.52mm and a 520 is roughly 6.35mm. So you can see that the only real change in the chain is diameter. So it must the change in sprocket diameter that caused the link count to be off. No big deal, a local bike shop should have 520 chain links you can buy and add to your bike. Hope that helped.
Canty
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:59 PM

You will need to get the spare link from the exact same type of RK chain you already have.

Typically when I sell a chain kit I sell it in 120 links or in the case of the RC51 many times I reduce that down to 110 links and then the end user cuts the chain to their exact desired length after test fitting the chain and sprockets to their desired axle location within the axle slot. That helps alleviate issues like this from happening.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
BrokenRC51,
Did you buy a complete RK Chain and Sprocket kit? Or did you purchase individual pieces separately? What is the year of your RC?

We have found that strangely a few RC51 take a slightly longer chain than others of the same model year. We actually have no reason for this anomaly. There is a 1 in 10 chance that the RC51 will need the longer chain. So looks like your RC may be the 1 in 10 that does require the longer chain.

We do not suggest adding a link to your current chain. You should return the chain where you bought it from and get the longer length.

Best regards

Farrah Bauer
Marketing and Advertising Manager
RK Excel America Inc.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKExcel View Post
BrokenRC51,
Did you buy a complete RK Chain and Sprocket kit? Or did you purchase individual pieces separately? What is the year of your RC?

We have found that strangely a few RC51 take a slightly longer chain than others of the same model year. We actually have no reason for this anomaly. There is a 1 in 10 chance that the RC51 will need the longer chain. So looks like your RC may be the 1 in 10 that does require the longer chain.

We do not suggest adding a link to your current chain. You should return the chain where you bought it from and get the longer length.

Best regards

Farrah Bauer
Marketing and Advertising Manager
RK Excel America Inc.
Let me get this straight. Your entire job is chains so you should pretty much know everything about them and you signed up for an RC51 forum to talk about them, but you haven't done enough research to know that the SP1 uses 104 Links and the SP2 uses 106 so this simple fact is just an enigma to your company? Really? You cannot figure out that "anomaly" on your own?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:46 AM

LDH,
This is not a chain issue. It is actually a stock swingarm issue. Honda has changed the RC51 swingarm several times within the same model SP1 and SP2. There are actually four different swingarm options. SO when a customer gives us a model year, we do our best to determine which chain goes with that model year. However given the different swingarm options and that the customer may not know which swingarm he has, the customer sometimes may get a chain that is too short or too long. Every time in this instance if the customer contacts us we will make it right. 95% of the time this is not an issue, but when it does happen we have no problem making the problem right.

We are not perfect and always strive to give our customers the best support possible.

Best regards,

Farrah Bauer
Marketing & Advertising Manager
RK Excel America Inc
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:53 AM

Hmmm, I wonder how many of these issues are just people replacing their SP1 swingarms with SP2 swingarms.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:57 AM

LDH
That very well could be the problem and we have no way of knowing. But we always try to correct the problem with the customer in these cases.

Cheers

Farrah Bauer
Marketing & Advertising Manager
RK Excel America Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode