Running temperature woes.... someone come pat me on the back and tell me its ok.... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Running temperature woes.... someone come pat me on the back and tell me its ok....

Alright guys, I think from the day I got my RC I have searched over heating things, and Ive got the basics covered.
I guess I am posting just cause I want more peace of mind.

So when I got my Rc, It was fine because it was a bit cooler out.

Now that we are starting to get some 80 degree days it has been a bit different.

first issue:
Riding one day and seemingly running extra warm (240deg)
A bit more in town cruising and BING 255! I immediately pull over and let her cool down.
Then I head home about 3 miles away and as I am pulling up 255 again!
SHIT. So I pull the fairings off to inspect, and I notice I am significantly low on coolant, which is somewhat of a relief cause I know thats why I am over heating. But now wondering where my coolant has gone, as there is zero signs of a head gasket problem, and no leakage....

Anywho, top it off she runs well right around 200-210 maybe 220 at times.
Seems to confirm all ive read.

then a week later, I am riding and I see temps creeping back up to 230 area and then even back up to 240.... WTF

So I head home and notice a decent leak coming from underneath the bike.
Pull the fairings again, and notice a gian glob of JB weld stuck to the radiator that I must have not noticed before.

Pull the radiator, scrape away all the JB weld, found the small hairline crack in the runner they tried to repair. Opened it up, used some aluminum brazing on her and sealed her up shut!

Topped it back off with coolant. and right at 180 she stayed, and of course the occasional 200-215 in traffic.
Seems to be all well, no leaks decent temp etc.

NOW yesterday was about 85 degrees, I was out riding and she got up to 225 and when I got moving she started to slowly crawl back down to 218 220 when the fans kicked on at a stop she stayed right there or at least VERY slowly increased.

Then hovered around 220-225 while cruising in 35 mph traffic and stop lights people in front of me etc.
I assumed this was pretty normal for how warm it was outside and the traffic I was in with stopping etc.

Well this morning it was about 60 degrees, I got about 3 blocks from home and she was already at 175,
Then another mile or so Im at 210, then by the time I am about 5 miles out Im already at 220. Its still only 62 degrees out or so, and not much traffic was about 7am.

This morning in the 60 deg temps, she never went over 220.

So heres my thing.

Someone tell me this is normal so I stop being paranoid. hahaha
It seems she is VERY quick to warm up, and VERY quick to get to 220.
When its HOT out she can still manage to stay around that 225 area comfortably and when I get moving with no one in front of me she cools down properly and sits around 220 ish.

I am afraid that maybe I didnt get the leak sealed all the way and the more I ride I may be loosing a tiny bit of coolant as it kind of seems like she is getting up to temp a bit quicker now.

I have to make a 1.5 hour (one way) ride tomorrow, and I am just a bit nervous.
I am going to check the coolant levels tonight after work to make sure I am still good to go.

But I guess I am just looking for some seasoned RC owners to chirp in and tell me:

Yes: It only takes a few mins to get up to a normal temp while riding.
Yes: it is normal in warm weather to rest around 215-230 while in rural traffic settings.
Yes: even in 60 degree temps the bike SHOULD reach and maintain 220 deg.

I may be just paranoid but my baby has 30k miles or so, and I know heat kills motors I want to make sure she is good.

Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Anything over 224° is pretty concerning on an RC51 in motion let alone in heavy traffic. Over 240° and you are looking at head warpage...

You have likely blown a headgasket and the coolant is leaking into the exhaust and being steamed out of the tailpipes.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

I highly doubt I have a head gasker problem. I have literally zero signs of that (milky oil, bubbles in coolant, misfires) the only reaaon i lost coolant before was obviously the leak I later discovered, it has since been repaired, and to my knowledge I have not lost any more coolant.. so that would be a pretty drastic assumption on the head gasket..
Numerous forums state 220-225/230 is normal when stuck in traffic on a 85 degree day. Im looking for more first hand experience from seasoned rc riders on the temps they see.
Just a simple google search tells me it is but may be a tad warm.
Like I said, I get movinf past 45mph and all is well, it was almost 90 degrees out and 30 mins of riding in stop and go less than 35mph im really hoping to hear this is normal first hand instead of reading 5 year old threads on other forums

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 04:04 PM

On a 100° day in nasty humid Memphis where you sweat just sitting in the shade my RC's in traffic would sometimes briefly hit 228 before the single fan would cool it back down to around 218-220. If either of the bikes were in motion even just 10-15mph the temp would rarely get over 204 and even on the race track on 100+ degree days I would rarely get over 200° at full pace and no fans installed at all.

I cannot ever recall hitting 230° on any of the RC51's I have routinely ridden which are fairly numerous including the one with High Compression Pistons that did tend run a bit hotter than the others.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Well there is a ton of threads out there saying what I am, but that being said im still here asking cause I agree all my experience on bikes 225-230 on an 80 deg day just dossnt seem righr to me my old 08 1000rr would see 220 on 105 degree days.
I just checked and my coolant is completely full just as it was the last time I filled it. So now im at a loss.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Now I let it idle sitting here and it slowly starts creeping up to 220 the fans come on ans it drops to 219 then extremely slowly keeps climbing I shut it off whenit got to 225. Fans work, coolant is new and level is fine. Wth could this be
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 05:33 PM

Maybe the system has an air bubble in it and needs to be burped. Pretty common with side mount rads...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

I burped it prettt well when i repaired the crack, let it run with the cap off to 205deg blipped the throttle then topped it off. I just burped it again, and while I was into it I pulled the left fan off, and quick fabbed up a rad scoop out of sheet aluminum.
I just took it for a spin and in the first 2 miles it struggled to get over 175 bounced between 160-170 a bit. Then at the first stop light it slowly got up to 210 this was a long light so I shut the bike off, kept riding and held steady aroubd 210-215, came to a stop ans let it idle got up to 218, then as soon as I started moving righr back down to 210-205.
And thats really it. Still bugs me how it wants to keep climbing temps at idle. Wonder if my fan (s) are getting week.
I figure id rather run 1 fan and be able to shut the bike off at idle to gain the air flow and now new cooling ability from my home made scoop.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
The prior owner on mine sealed puncture on the left radiator with JB weld, which of coarse didn't hold and started leaking.
I pulled the radiator and had the pucture heliarc welded and pressure tested.
Since then, the warmest it has gotten is 221 degrees on hot Florida summer day in traffic. The fans quickly cool it down to 218.
Once moving, the temps then drop to 205-208, and lower when freeway speeds are reached.

Therefore, I've got to say you still have a cooling issue somewhere.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
The prior owner on mine sealed puncture on the left radiator with JB weld, which of coarse didn't hold and started leaking.
I pulled the radiator and had the pucture heliarc welded and pressure tested.
Since then, the warmest it has gotten is 221 degrees on hot Florida summer day in traffic. The fans quickly cool it down to 218.
Once moving, the temps then drop to 205-208, and lower when freeway speeds are reached.

Therefore, I've got to say you still have a cooling issue somewhere.
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...-normally.html

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5771

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/hon...mperature.html

http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums...ng-temp-20178/

http://www.centralvalleyriders.com/f...p/t-13708.html

So there is about 15 people who claim they regularly hit 220-230 on hot days....

What do you guys have done or where do you live that you never have these issues?
Hahahah

I am going nuts trying to figure this out.

Obviously if my bike runs for hours and the fans never even come on I think its safe to say I do not have a cooling problem.... lol

However I don't think its normal to hit 225+ on a 85 degree day, I also believe honda did not design a bike that would overheat at idle on a hot day.
Doesnt make any sesne to me. Something isnt right, but I dont think something is exactly "broken" now.

So help me out,
my fans work as well as the temp switch, there is no air in the coolant, the coolant is new, the hoses are fine, there is no leaks, while going 30mph+ there is no cooling issue at all, regardless if it may be a bit warmer than yours.
What I am seeing is confirmed by a ton of people as I am searching.

what are your thoughts??!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode