SP2 headers on SP1 - Help. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
SP2 headers on SP1 - Help.

Newbie here, I know this has been asked a few times but I still can't find an answer.
I picked up a SP1 and the guy who sold it to me also spare SP2 headers and pipes.
The SP1 pipes are pretty rashed up and would like to switch over to the SP2 pipes. I need to use the SP2 headers to use the Sp2 pipes.

I've managed to put the rear SP2 exhaust link on but cant put on the front bit of the headers. If I put front bit of the headers I can't put on the rear,combined they dont work together. WTF how can I solve this?

I've read that people mill the flange but I can't see what needs to be milled.

I've read this topic (on speedzilla and this forum) on the differences between the SP1 and SP2 headers but not answering my issue.

Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
you have to cut the ends of the stock sp1 header and weld it onto the sp2 header.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 12:10 PM

you may have issues with the sp1 swingarm and the exhaust

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Is there any other way around that? Some people seem to have got around this issue without welding the SP1 ends onto the SP2.
I have seen one solution where they have used the SP1 headers but cut and welded the X - link exhaust exit of the SP2 but I'd rather not go down that route.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 06:37 PM

you're gonna have to cut and weld one way or another, unless you swap the heads on the bike to sp2 which is way more work.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51SP View Post
Is there any other way around that? Some people seem to have got around this issue without welding the SP1 ends onto the SP2.
I have seen one solution where they have used the SP1 headers but cut and welded the X - link exhaust exit of the SP2 but I'd rather not go down that route.
That was me. Still running that header.

Did you check to see if the front header flange was actually mating up correctly to the exhaust port of the cylinder head?
Unless you filed of a bit of material from the header flange, I don't think it quite fits.
This may help. (Shamelessly plagiarized from Speedzilla )

Some differences between SP1 and SP2 headers - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 09:37 AM

i just used the inlets off of the sp1 header on the sp2 header so that it eliminated the second slip joint on the rear cylinder. Please keep in mind you will most likely have clearance issues with the swingarm if you are running sp2 exhaust on a sp1 with an sp1 swingarm.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:16 PM
bpw

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
hey man I might buy that sp2 stuff off of you and you could buy the right shit just saying... also I have a 2 to 1 jardine system thatll fit a sp1 PM me if you wanna talk about this.

-Brian
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 06:45 PM

i would take bpw up on his offer, or hit up simon to see what he can get you for an sp1
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
That was me. Still running that header.

Did you check to see if the front header flange was actually mating up correctly to the exhaust port of the cylinder head?
Unless you filed of a bit of material from the header flange, I don't think it quite fits.
This may help. (Shamelessly plagiarized from Speedzilla )
Yeah it seems that it was you who welded the Sp2 onto the Sp1 exhaust. I did read the speedzilla link you posted quite a few times before posting on here but everything I've got seems to be different to the website.

When I tried to fit the Sp2 exhaust , the flange seems to fit pretty good to the engine.
Even looking at the flanges that I have on the Sp1 exhaust and Sp2 exhaust they seem to be the same size. Call me crazy but they do seem to match up. I'll bust out the measurement calipers and check the dimensions.

Another thing that I found weird was that the original headers had sections for the spring holders. Its certainty different to the ones on Speedzilla link. It might be an aftermarket one but I can't see any name marks on it.

I'll take some pictures of the flanges on to the bike over the weekend.
Hopefully will shed some light on my situation.

BPW I'll let you know regarding selling the SP2 stuff. Not really a fan of the 2-1 look. To me the SP's need to have 2 exhausts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode