Throttle Blip = Problem - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Question Throttle Blip = Problem

Alright soooo I've got another new problem. I am guessing I may know what it is but looking for any advice/pointers etc.

3 instances so far of this happening and are as follows:

1. I blipped the throttle and downshifted 1 gear at a time from 6 to 4. Bike stalled rolling along on a straight. Took me by surprise so I didn't really understand what was going on.

2. I had to brake hard and downshift from 6 to 3. Had the brake on fairly solid and steady. Clutch was pulled in. Bike stalled out...

3. Happened this morning before I took off. Sitting in my driveway. I started the bike with the choke out. Let the oil cycle for a few minutes then pushed the choke in when it was warm. Before leaving I blipped the throttle a slight bit from idle. It sounded like shit. I tried it once again... It stalled. I started it right back up. Tried blipping again and it sounded terrible but didn't stall so I left for work.

I think a couple of things. I put on the pair covers and took the entire system off the bike and did the flapper mod. I also put new plugs in but I'm thinking I need my PC remapped.

My questions, if the valves need adjustment would it cause this?

-Kyle

'01 Red/Silver/Black RC51
-Ladybird GP exhaust with matching mids
-Samco hoses
-PC III USB
-Clear Stompgrips
-HotBodies FE
-Scotts Steering Damper
-DHC Carbon Hugger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
valves usually create more of a noise than a problem like that, but if they are WAY too tight, it could cause it. what is your idle at? I've seen bikes that for some unknown reason had the idle adjusted too low, which caused a world of annoying driveability issues such as this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
1. Make 100% sure your engine idle is set properly. If the engine idle is too low at normal operating temp then stalling will happen when you upset the the airflow into the airbox.

2. Stop blipping the throttle from idle.

3. Stop blipping the throttle between each downshift while street riding. Completely Unnecessary

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
1. Make 100% sure your engine idle is set properly. If the engine idle is too low at normal operating temp then stalling will happen when you upset the the airflow into the airbox.

2. Stop blipping the throttle from idle.

3. Stop blipping the throttle between each downshift while street riding. Completely Unnecessary

Thanks, Agreed, I never blipped the throttle while riding since I bought it, then everyone told me I should be when down shifting so I started doing it. Seems unnecessary but I went along with it. As for at idle what should optimum idle rpm be at/between? I never blip at idle, but did today where it stalled out to see if I could replicate the issue and to my surprise I did.

-Kyle

-Samco hoses
-PC III USB
-Clear Stompgrips
-HotBodies FE
-Scotts Steering Damper
-DHC Carbon Hugger
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Idle is about 1100-1200rpm

-Kyle

-Samco hoses
-PC III USB
-Clear Stompgrips
-HotBodies FE
-Scotts Steering Damper
-DHC Carbon Hugger
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Too low. Should be 1300 RPM.

Too low an idle can cause the charging system output to be too low to charge the battery.
All it would take is to be stuck in a traffic jam with the fans running to drop the battery charge level down to the point where the ECU stops working.

Happened to be with my VFR800. The difference was 100 RPM (1200 vs. 1300).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So to get it idling a bit higher (easy/quick fix) pull the choke out a tiny bit?

The right way is to get the idle adjusted. Is it difficult to do on your own? I am going to get it Dyno'd and remapped when I get my new pipes on it but that wont be until next year.

-Kyle

-Samco hoses
-PC III USB
-Clear Stompgrips
-HotBodies FE
-Scotts Steering Damper
-DHC Carbon Hugger
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
No, The Choke (air-bypass) should only be used for starting the bike and for a bare minimum of time. 5-10 seconds max

Let the engine get up to at least 180° and no more than 190° and immediately adjust the idle to 1300-1400 rpm. Do not wait until the engine temp is over 200° or you will be in a different A/F ratio window and the setting will be wrong when the engine temp drops back to 180ish

If you set the engine idle properly at 180° then by the time you hit 200° or more it will usually be idling around 1500rpm
kmblackbear06 likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator?
It will cause stalling like you're experiencing if it's diaphragm is failing. It's a common Honda problem. Lots of threads here discussing FPR testing and replacement.

The Idle adjuster knob is on the opposite side as the choke.

My 4 years of limited experience with the RC51 has shown me that LDH and SubSailor are spot on with their description about adjusting the idle. When I'm at about 180F degrees, I'm right at 1300 rpm. When the bike is closer to 200 -220, the idle is a tad higher. around 1400 - 1500.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Is this correct?
My bike idles around 1100-1200
Around 90 degrees

But i read this from LDH

No, The Choke (air-bypass) should only be used for starting the bike and for a bare minimum of time. 5-10 seconds max

Let the engine get up to at least 180° and no more than 190° and immediately adjust the idle to 1300-1400 rpm. Do not wait until the engine temp is over 200° or you will be in a different A/F ratio window and the setting will be wrong when the engine temp drops back to 180ish

If you set the engine idle properly at 180° then by the time you hit 200° or more it will usually be idling around 1500rpm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode