Ongoing Tech Help (fuel, starting, rough idle, etc.) - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Lightbulb Ongoing Tech Help (fuel, starting, rough idle, etc.)

Mods, feel free to move this if I'm asking in the wrong place for this:

Hello guys/gals,

A few of you know my ongoing (hopefully simple) issues I've had with my RC. Unfortunately, due to work and travel, I haven't had much time to really dive head first into this thing.

That changes this weekend. I've sent the wife and kid packing, I've got 3 full days to live in my garage, and I've got a friend or two coming to at least hold a wrench. (1971allchaos, I understand you can't make it, thanks anyway )

I've collected a ton of 'maybe it could be this' parts (one very important one hopefully already in transit from RC-Devil ) and I'm ready to go.

If I want to take pics, link videos, etc. I know I can post that here. If anyone else is offering to help however, and it makes it easier, I'll PM you my personal number to text / photo / video if I have questions (I don't stalk anyone I swear).

Otherwise, I'll make this the last new thread I create for the same tech questions, and just update as I go.

The adventurous don't live forever, but the cautious don't live at all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

So, before I dive into this tomorrow, here's what I know, and what I have so far:

Sometimes has trouble starting
If started, it doesn't want to idle.
Choke seems to do nothing, although I did foul a set of plugs this way (shrug)
Holding the throttle slightly and slowly warming it up helps, but its still a rough idle.
Sounds like it may be running on one cylinder, or misfiring, but that could be from the rough idle
The front exhaust header gets hotter than the rear exhaust header (hence 'maybe one cylinder)
If I can get it to stabilize a bit, I can ride it down the road, but it hesitates and is jerky
After a few runs, it can foul plugs
Changing plugs helps somewhat
There are no codes from the ECU, and the FI light does not flash (it does illuminate properly, so it's not missing a bulb or something)
There was a fuel smell initially, but I changed the FPR and that went away (months ago)
No smoke, plenty of coolant, plenty of oil, no milkshake, no leaks
10k miles

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Here's what I've managed to do so far:

Changed FPR (would barely start before I changed this, and reeked of gas, so this helped somewhat) *New from Honda
New spark plugs *Twice, one set initially for an SP1, purchased SP2 plugs instead
Disconnected the PC3 Usb
Added fresh gas (Ethanol Free)
Checked all sensors were physically in place
Secured wiring harness and made sure connectors were snug and greased
This bike has a TurnOne Carbon airbox, confirmed full seal around the tank
PAIR and Flapper has been done, all valves closed or sealed

Things I'm going to try this weekend / parts available:

New plugs (again, in case I blow another set)
CDI Box
PC3USB
Drain and refill the gas tank
Testing sensors
Testing Reg/Rectifier
Ground check
(Hopefully if it gets here in time) Complete Throttle body so I can swap it out and rule out injectors or TPS errors

There are only two things I don't have to swap out:

ECU
Coils

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

So. Am I missing anything so far that you guys would suggest?

And.....

If anyone in WNC is bored this weekend, I pay in beer and food.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Are the fouled plugs wet (as in fuel) or greasy (as in oil).
What is the condition of the interior of the airbox when the cover is removed?
Is it heavily coated in oil residue?
What is the condition of the crankcase vent catch tank? When was the last time you drained its hose?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A little bit ago I had a issue that where my bike would seem like it dropped down to 1 cylinder would hit a bump and would go back to normal then do it again. If I were to pull the clutch in it would idle down until it killed itself. I was mind boggled so I started from the tail end of the bike re-wired the brake and integrated turns nothing same thing. I literally changed everything that you did I had a friend that let me borrow his ecu and coils to rule that out he was rebuilding his. all of the way to the front. nothing everything good. so I took off my side fairings and rear cowl made my buddy ride backward wiggling wires nothing i wiggled the wiring harness on the left side just in front of the radiator waammo. brrrrrrrrrp so i put it back up on stands in the garage cut into the harness and found about 5 or 6 wire that had chaffed to where they were grounding themselves out ect... i repaired the wires used about 10 feet of electrical tape to tape the bundle back up all nice and pretty haven't had a problem since. i hope this helps you out best of luck i am deff interested in what it is tho
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas_sp1 View Post
A little bit ago I had a issue that where my bike would seem like it dropped down to 1 cylinder would hit a bump and would go back to normal then do it again. If I were to pull the clutch in it would idle down until it killed itself. I was mind boggled so I started from the tail end of the bike re-wired the brake and integrated turns nothing same thing. I literally changed everything that you did I had a friend that let me borrow his ecu and coils to rule that out he was rebuilding his. all of the way to the front. nothing everything good. so I took off my side fairings and rear cowl made my buddy ride backward wiggling wires nothing i wiggled the wiring harness on the left side just in front of the radiator waammo. brrrrrrrrrp so i put it back up on stands in the garage cut into the harness and found about 5 or 6 wire that had chaffed to where they were grounding themselves out ect... i repaired the wires used about 10 feet of electrical tape to tape the bundle back up all nice and pretty haven't had a problem since. i hope this helps you out best of luck i am deff interested in what it is tho
Yeah wiring is gonna be my main thing to look at after ruling out the parts I have available. Good call out.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Are the fouled plugs wet (as in fuel) or greasy (as in oil).
What is the condition of the interior of the airbox when the cover is removed?
Is it heavily coated in oil residue?
What is the condition of the crankcase vent catch tank? When was the last time you drained its hose?
I'll check on this tomorrow as far as the catch tube and air box, but as far as I know it was mostly a fueling issue i.e. wet plugs, but the FPR exchange fixed most of that.

If I can get it cranked and warm I blast down the road and see what it looks like after a run (well, as much of a run as it will do)

I'll send pics too.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

You know, before I kill myself with part exchanging today, kansas_sp1 got me thinking:

You said the left side of your wiring harness was messed up? Interesting, because the only time my bike has been down was when the PO lowsided it, on the left.

I might start there just for fun, you said in front of the radiator? Or was it more the 'left side' harness in general....?

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohero51 View Post
You know, before I kill myself with part exchanging today, kansas_sp1 got me thinking:

You said the left side of your wiring harness was messed up? Interesting, because the only time my bike has been down was when the PO lowsided it, on the left.

I might start there just for fun, you said in front of the radiator? Or was it more the 'left side' harness in general....?
yes I will try to up load a picture of my wiring harness when I get home but there is a big group of wires I want to say it is your main harness has probably about 20+ of them in there. Im a jet mechanic so going thru wire by wire was pretty easy compared to the mess boeing puts together for us. I want to say my chafed wires were green green and yell blue orange and one other one. but I pretty much cut slid some heat shrink over it soldered back together and heat shrunk them taped it up haven't had a single issue since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode