Bike A close to complete, Bike B options? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Bike A close to complete, Bike B options?

Hey guys. I'm trying to complete the street-ability of my SP1 A bike and figure out options for the B bike.

Bike A needs:
- Mount the exhaust (Akrapovic full system, carbon cans). I just found the missing pieces (oval braces to bolt to the cylinder and the short tubes that mash down the exhaust gaskets and mate to the header pipes--anyone have a name for those?) so I can now mount them up. I'm planning on wrapping part of the pipes to keep them from burning the lower fairings (happened on the race bike).
- Figure out the Sato rear sets. I seem to be missing a part that links to the rear brake master and whatever activates the rear brake light.
- Figure out the brembo clutch lever/master. Seems like I need to find or rig a fluid reservoir.
- Mount up the Captain America, Colin Edwards replica bodywork.

Bike B needs:
- Bodywork repair. Took a left side low side that cracked the carbon/kevlar fairings and scuffed them up a bit. This is the Italian color scheme Colin Edwards replica you can see in my avatar. Everything is carbon/kevlar including the tank.
- New fuel pump.
- Working throttle position sensor. I have two throttle body manifolds and two position sensors. I think I can find something somewhere that will tell me how to test them because I know only one is working.
- New tires. The current tires are race tires shredded from edge to edge and hard as rocks from 6 years sitting unused.

So, I'm not too far from having both my A bike and B bike street legal and usable. But...

I'm thinking of just leaving the B bike as a trophy in memory of my amateur racing adventures. I could hang it from the rafters in the garage or put it on a stand in the basement shop. If it's just a trophy piece, I don't need new tires because the ripped up racers look better for that use. I wouldn't need to fix the throttle position sensor and other stuff but it seems like a waste to have an almost ready to ride bike just sitting there. Of course, I could also part out the engine, radiators, etc. and just keep the bodywork and wheels and have it bike-looking trophy but not a real bike.

My feelings are all mixed up about Bike B. Finish it and sell it? Finish it and keep it to ride occasionally? Hang it up as-is? Gut it and hang up the shell? What do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Akro_LastPieces.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	93098  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

I can't believe nobody has an opinion. This is the internet! EVERYONE has an opinion.
Feel free to insult me, tell me I'm stupid to have screwed up my bikes with the Colin Edwards crap, let out what ever you feel.

But, if you have any input on collect-ability (which is _not_ why I bought my RCs), let me know.

I raced and did NESBA control riding with my RC51. Talked about what it took to fix the handling in my book "Motorcycle Track Day Handbook" by Kent Larson. (find it on Amazon to check it out but don't buy one. I'll give you one if we meet up anywhere) I picked up the 2nd one cheap as a wreck for a backup and spare parts.

So, now I have two and I'm back on the street with one.
Should I try to OEM mint-out the 2nd or just hang it on the wall with my racing trophies?

Opinions? The Fireblades forum would have insulted me at least 20 time by now but still provided a few worthy opinions.

Later,
Kent Larson
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Hang that bad boy up! I'll have to check out that book, suspension is something i need to get better at. Did you ever run MAM in Omaha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudduc View Post
I can't believe nobody has an opinion. This is the internet! EVERYONE has an opinion.
Feel free to insult me, tell me I'm stupid to have screwed up my bikes with the Colin Edwards crap, let out what ever you feel.

But, if you have any input on collect-ability (which is _not_ why I bought my RCs), let me know.

I raced and did NESBA control riding with my RC51. Talked about what it took to fix the handling in my book "Motorcycle Track Day Handbook" by Kent Larson. (find it on Amazon to check it out but don't buy one. I'll give you one if we meet up anywhere) I picked up the 2nd one cheap as a wreck for a backup and spare parts.

So, now I have two and I'm back on the street with one.
Should I try to OEM mint-out the 2nd or just hang it on the wall with my racing trophies?

Opinions? The Fireblades forum would have insulted me at least 20 time by now but still provided a few worthy opinions.

Later,
Kent Larson

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
when I come down to parts hunt, I can also place your #2 bike in my late model Honda museum. i'll even put good tires on it just to keep you happy.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
In regards to Sato rear set parts.............Browse down on the page of the website below and find the parts list diagram for the RC51 which is "H-RC51RS".

SATO RACING - Parts Lists for Sato Rear Sets

Contact Sato racing and they can get you any parts you'll need.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkdrew View Post
In regards to Sato rear set parts.............Browse down on the page of the website below and find the parts list diagram for the RC51 which is "H-RC51RS".

SATO RACING - Parts Lists for Sato Rear Sets

Contact Sato racing and they can get you any parts you'll need.
Thanks bud. Appreciated. I currently have almost two full setups but am missing a few pieces here and there. I'll get the bike setup and offer up the extras once I know what is no longer needed.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativems View Post
Hang that bad boy up! I'll have to check out that book, suspension is something i need to get better at. Did you ever run MAM in Omaha?
Yep. In the book I talk about not getting enough bite from the front end of my SV650 through the big sweeping left (turns 5 & 6 I think?). Until the bike was set up better, I needed to go through them with the back end spinning so it could slide faster than the front and keep me on line. I was way too slow if the front wasn't sliding.

I also show a picture of my shattered patella (knee cap) that I got at MAM. Hum..that may say something about why you should set a bike up right instead of trying to ride around setup problems?

Later,
Kent
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Obviously keep it, hang it up whilst acquiring the parts you think you may need to put it back on the road and repair the bodywork.
Colin Edwards and crap shouldn't be put in the same sentence he is still a Damn fine rider and a bit of a hero and you've got a good colour scheme going on there.
Oh and don't ever, ever sell it.
Think that about covers it from my point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode