Won't Start - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Unhappy Won't Start

Morning guys....took my SP1 out for a weekend ride and after the final stop she refused to start.
  • Turned key, dash came up
  • Hit switch, I heard the pump prime
  • Pressed ignition switch - NOTHING
  • Noticed Headlights also not on

The battery is good shape so I am hoping it just a fuse ??

Thoughts ??

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Main fuse 10 amp
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'm sure it's not the main fuse (because the fuel pump runs).
Be sure to check all three fuse locations. Main fuse behind battery. Fuse back above the radiator overflow jug on the left side (left when sitting on the bike).

And the last one. The one that caused me all sorts of trouble because I didn't know it was there until after I tore out the entire wiring harness from my B bike to get the A bike running. This is the fuse I bet is your problem too.

There is a fuse on the left side of the bike just in front of the regulator rectifier (4 x 4 inch slab of metal with cooling fins) on the left side of the bike. I think the fuel pump runs but the bike will not start if that fuse is blown.

Of course you made sure the run/stop switch (right handlebar) is at "run" and the bike is in neutral.

Let me know if you need pictures.
Let us know if you get it worked out.

Later,
Kent

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:13 AM

Fuse Location Pictures

The fuse I suspect the most is shown in RCFuses3. The first of the three thumbnails.
Fuse is under the dull red cover with clips on both ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RCFuses3.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	93962   Click image for larger version

Name:	RCFuses2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	93970   Click image for larger version

Name:	RCFuses1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	93978  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks guys.....this is really helpful. Is there a trick to getting the tail off ? I removed all the bolts / screws I could see and she won't lift off ? Am I missing something ??

Raleigh

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighp View Post
Thanks guys.....this is really helpful. Is there a trick to getting the tail off ? I removed all the bolts / screws I could see and she won't lift off ? Am I missing something ??

Raleigh
stop... don't rip the tail off.
if your headlights aren't on its not in your tail. it will be just your headlight fuse up in the front of your bike I believe under the left fairing. I believe it is either a 10 or 15 mini fuse. your bike wont start if your headlight fuse is blown
raleighp likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:36 AM

I have a sp1 as well and on my way to work my fuse shorted out on me at 530 in the morning let me tell you pitch black at 90 on the highway is scary but ripped the entire bike apart read out wires cleaned up the wiring job from previous owner. (looked like straight trash) got all done bike started right up not a problem rode to work the next day same thing hit a bump and flicker flicker boom pitch black again. new it wasn't in the back ripped the whole bike apart again nothing wrong that was visible was putting the plastics back on started hitting them to try wiggling wires as if I were riding. found my head light relay or turn signal relay was bad replaced it and the fuse for the headlights never had a problem since.
raleighp likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
About the fuse box that's on the left side of the bike:
Fuse C is a 20 amp mini-fuse for the headlights.
Fuse F is a 10 amp mini-fuse for the starter.

The starter relay located next to the reg/rec on the left subframe also has it's own 30 amp standard fuse. Pull the red rectangular cap off and you'll see it.

Honda put a spare fuse in the bottom of the rubber relay holder, don't confuse that for the actual live fuse on top of the relay.

You could also have a failed starter relay.
raleighp and COBRA90GT like this.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Last edited by jondog9; 09-16-2015 at 12:38 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
About the fuse box that's on the left side of the bike:
Fuse C is a 20 amp fuse for the headlights.
Fuse F is a 10 amp for the starter.
thanks man I couldn't remember what size they were
raleighp likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:27 PM

So, don't take off the tail until you've checked all the other fuses. The main behind the battery and the fuse bank under the left fairing are easy to check.

If they are all good, go under the tail as a last resort.
Taking off the tail is a little tricky. Do at your own risk. Don't blame me if you crack it.

Once all the bolts are off and all the under-tail little black plastic button connectors are removed, you should be able to verify it is loose by pulling it back and inch or so. Wiggle it to make sure you didn't miss a bolt or button.

Once it's all free, it takes some careful stretching to get it off the bike. I usually pull it straight back as far as it will go and then reach under one side and pull it out and up a bit to start moving it around all the stuff bolted to the side of the tail frame. Continue to pull it back while stretching it wider until it is free.

Be, _very_ careful not to put to much strain on the plastic. Stay well away from the point where it will bend or break. It's tricky the first few times but once you get the hang of it you can do it easily without risk of damage to the plastics.

But...if you break it...it's all your fault. Do at your own risk or find someone you can trust that's done it before.

Luck. (and let us know if it all works out and what was the fix)

Later,
Kent
jondog9, raleighp and COBRA90GT like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode