How did that happen? SP2. - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How did that happen? SP2.

Sooo i`m assuming that i really messed up something simple...

Last ride i took i was gone for two hours, bike felt fine. Toward the last 20 minute stretch home i felt a skip when leaving stop signs, felt like the chain had skipped a tooth. I immediately thought to myself "chain is a little old and has some stretch, i`ll order one this week"

When i got home all i did was reach down behind my leg and pull on the chain to see how loose it was and sure enough it was time to replace it. I had already adjusted it out a couple times and new this was coming.

Well that was a few days ago and today i decided to just pull the wheel and old chain off ahead of time since i had nothing to do today. What i found kinda took me off guard.

I`m guessing that the axle nut loosened an allowed some play in the rear? I didn`t hear or feel ANYTHING the whole ride other than the 2 times the chain skipped when i was almost home.

Now let me explain some back history on this bike that i didn`t figure out until after owning it for a few months. I feel like this may be important ...maybe not. This bike seems to me like it was parted together from however many different bikes, i received the bike with a lot of spare stuff. It came with a whole extra engine some suspension stuff etc. It also is a SP2 frame, engine and rear swinger but was sitting on SP1 wheels. The spare engine is sp1 and the spare rear shock i have is sp1 as well. The cooling system on the bike is sp1, which sucks because i think the sp1 used 2 rads 1 fan? and this has one with no trace on the wiring harness for a second fan. But thats not my issue right now, i`ve got that part sorted already.

Is it possible i`m not using the right spacers in the rear wheel, are they different between the sp1 and 2 or just something i`m not thinking of? or was i stupid and let the rear axle nut get to loose and screw my rear end all up and that`s just what i get for not doing a pre ride check?

Lastly, i`m guessing the swing arm is trash. It feels like i should just recycle this one and source a new/used one to replace it with. Opinions? i just don`t feel like this one is reusable, hub either for that matter, all gonna have to be trashed.

Last edited by Hooch; 01-09-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
it looks to me that you ran it without a spacer at all

there is a spacer that goes into the cush drive from the oustide, then another spacer inside the cush drive (there is a bearing in the cush, and another in the wheel, the internal spacer links the inside races of these two bearings.

post pics of the spacers you had in place

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/h...ar-wheel-02-05

there is an exploded view of what you SHOULD have in there.

yes, the swingarm is probably better to be trashed at this point, the face that the spacer will sit up against is completely mulched.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
it looks to me that you ran it without a spacer at all

there is a spacer that goes into the cush drive from the oustide, then another spacer inside the cush drive (there is a bearing in the cush, and another in the wheel, the internal spacer links the inside races of these two bearings.

post pics of the spacers you had in place

2005 Honda RVT1000R A REAR WHEEL ('02-'05) | Ron Ayers

there is an exploded view of what you SHOULD have in there.

yes, the swingarm is probably better to be trashed at this point, the face that the spacer will sit up against is completely mulched.
What Wibbly said. +1
Good call on checking that inner spacer.

Hooch, it looks like your swinger and cushdrive is ruined. That's a deep gouge!
Better get some new bearings too.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

You`re on to something wibbly.

I haven`t had the wheel off in forever. Since i had the tires installed back in......ugh spring/summer? So it`s been like this for awhile apparently.

Posting SS of the diagram you linked for reference. It looks like the spacers are all in the wrong damn place. For some reason the spacer #5 was somewhere on the brake caliper side of the wheel. but the spacer i have doesn`t seem to fit inside the the kush drive the way i`m looking at the diagram. We done goofed big time. There wasn`t any metal on metal contact last week when i tightened the chain but damn...is what it is.

Does it look like i have the right spacer to you? i got new tires the same time i traded sp1 wheels for sp2 wheels and there was some confusion on both ends when it came to the spacers. We ended up having to do some extra shipping etc to get it right but I can`t seem to fit that #5 spacer into the bearing. It just seems to big for the hole; im wondering if they are all the same "sp1/2" or if i have the wrong part. Which might explain how it ended up on the wrong portion of the axle to begin with. "Duuuh doesn`t fit here but im able to stick it thurr" kinda thing, still no excuse but knowing me it`s plausible. IDK, i feel like an idiot here because this is all my own fault.

Last edited by Hooch; 01-09-2016 at 03:55 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
In your fourth picture, that bearing in the cushdrive should sit a little farther inward, and the seal goes in next. #23.

I remember the inner spacer, #8, having a stepped outside that presses inside the bearing's inner race, #20,. The end of the spacer should be even with the outside of the bearings inner race. It looks like yours has slipped inward some?

In the third picture, you have the outer spacer positioned correctly for the left side, minus the seal.

The right side also has a narrower spacer, #4, tucked into the seal. Confirm that one too.
Then the seals helps hold your spacers in the wheel when mounting to the swingarm.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Last edited by jondog9; 01-09-2016 at 04:39 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
I am glad you didn't eat it because of something letting go!

New swinger, wheel and cush drive are in order.

Post up your other findings and progress. Let you bad fortune be a learning experience for others.

I hope you get her on the road soon.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 06:46 PM

#5 doesn't fit inside the bearing, it sits against the inner race of the bearing

by not having that there you would have pinched the cush drive against the swingarm
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

that`s pretty much what happened. It just boggles me it never made a sound or even felt shifty when moving. The whole thing coming together how it did perplexes me, can`t believe that`s the way i stuck it together and that it took almost 5 months for this to happen.

Wheel itself looks mint though, to dark for anymore pics. It`s going to have to sit for awhile. Swing arms on ebay are all rashed, dented and the one mint condition swinger on there is an HRC for $500, something i just can`t afford right now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 09:27 PM

you may find a swinger on these boards.

there's no reason for the wheel to need replacement. just the cush drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode