So I haven't posted much here in a while and thought it's time to update what my plans are for the RC.
As some here may recall, this time last year I was very busy trying to get this bike back to a reasonably decent mechanical state. By mid summer, most of the mechanical bugs were worked out and I decided that for this year I wanted to get this bike up to snuff cosmetically.
One of my V4 buds who lives in eastern NC happened to spot an ad on CL for a mostly complete set of plastic for an SP2 for a ridiculously low price. I went ahead and bought it since the plastic on my bike was roughed up an several places and this set, while not perfect, was overall in much better condition than what I had. So basically, I have 2 suits of clothes I could dress Mr. Hyde in.
This what I had on it last summer. I used Plastex over the stock front blinker holes in order to use an aftermarket set of lights there but other than that, all the scrapes, bruises and other flaws are there. Even so, it looked decent from a distance...
The rear cowl it came with had the most obvious damage so I began working on repairing it last summer. Most of the repair involved fixing the area just above the 2 bolts on the sides where the plastic was cracked from apparent overloading of the pillion and then "repaired" with the plastic deformed. It's hard to see in the above pic but it's very noticeable up close. This work gave me a good amount of experience working with the Plastex and an opportunity to see if doing other repairs would be feasible. Long story short, the repairs came out pretty well. I decided on a plan for the rest of the plastic it came with.
Generally speaking, I usually like keeping things on my bikes mostly stock but I just LOVE red on a sporty bike. Bright, obnoxious traditional RED, such as the "Italian Red" my VFR is sporting! The "Winning Red" that is the background of the RC's original paint scheme has just a touch of orange to it and I simply like the Italian better.
Since I now have a decent set of stock plastic I can hang on this bike any time, I feel I can do whatever I want with the other set. The repair work needed on the plastic it came with will require stripping all the decals anyway, so I essentially have a blank canvas to mess with. So here's my plan:
Italian red on everything but the rear cowl, mirrors and pipes which will be black (glossy on the rear cowl). The giant Honda wing decal will be eliminated (I can hear the boos already! Sorry but I want a simpler look) but I will have the following decals: RVT racing, silver HONDA along the bottom, RC51 toward the front and 1000R on the tail section.
The fuel tank presented a problem with this idea since it has multi colors that blend into the original "big wing" scheme. My solution for this is to have a solid red tank cover made, similar to what my VFR has.
I have a local upholstery guy fabbing up the cover now and ultimately I will mount a medium sized tank bag to that cover (not the giant one I have on the VFR). If I want to go back to the stock paint scheme, I simply remove the tank cover and swap out the plastic. I don't expect that I'll be doing this often, but at least I'm not permanently ruining the stock paint scheme.
Anyway, that's the general plan. I'll post some more stuff soon to chronicle the project.