Another Won't Start Problem - 2004 RC51 - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unhappy Another Won't Start Problem - 2004 RC51

Friends, My 2004 RC 51 will not start after minor maintenance this winter. It was running fine when I put it away. The motorcycle has 11,000 miles and the only modification is a Power Commander.

Maintenance:
1. Oil and filter change.
2. Drain and replace coolant (all panels and front cowl are off).
3. New brake pads and bleed brakes.
4. New spark plugs (removed and replaced tank).
5. Inspected and cleaned air filters (PO installed K&N).

Symptoms:
1. I hear the fuel pump start when I place the key on and also when I cycle the kill switch.
2. I sprayed a little starting fluid in the front intake and it runs for a few seconds. I therefore conclude I don't have an ignition problem.
3. I checked fuel pump recirculate flow by removing the 5/16 hose at the recirc valve and fuel flows when the pump is turned on via the ignition and cycling the kill switch.
4. I checked for pinched hoses under the fuel tank.
5. I have tried starting with the cold circuit (choke) both engaged and disengaged.

I will truly appreciate trouble shooting guidance.

Thank you

K Rayna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Additional Information

1. I took the air cleaner cover off and when starting there is not fuel injected in the aft cylinder. I can only see down the aft cylinder.

2. The cutoff relay at the right rear of the motorcycle "clicks" when I turn the key on and off.

3. One other condition the headlights and turn signals are disconnected due to the front cowl being off.

Again, I would appreciate any input. I am studying the service manual and will tackle the problem tomorrow.

KRR
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I know it sounds silly buy check this safety switches, neutral switches and such. Always seems to be one silly thing like that.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Mr. Quizzy,

I agree I need to check the simple things. I am trying to figure out which interlocks affect fuel delivery to the injectors since the starter is working along with the spark (runs if I put a little gas in the throttle body) and the fuel pump is pumping. I also have fuel exiting the return line from the pressure regulating valve but I am suspecting the pressure is not getting to the injectors.

Still working on it and welcome all suggestions.

KRR
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Headlights and signals unhooked shouldn't affect anything.
Have you bypassed your PC and tried to start?
The connectors are just under the left rear of the fuel tank, tucked on the inside of the frame.
The other switches you mentioned about checking are bank angle switch and sensor, neutral switch, sidestand switch, and clutch switch.
I believe if your fuel pump is working, and you're getting fire at the plugs, and it runs on ether, then all of the above switches are working properly. imo.
From what you described, (which is cool that you list all the things you've already done), it sounds like the injectors just aren't getting the signal to hit.
I don't really know that area well enough to advise, but your switches are probably ok.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Mr. Jondog9, Thank you for your input. It is very early and I am planning my activities. I do not know what the acronym PC stands for. Please define so I can pursue bypassing it.

Thank you

KRR
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Power Commander=PC
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Mr. Fuzzuki, thank you. I should have known, no coffee yet. I will keep you posted.

KRR
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Also check with a multi meter for signal at the injectors. If you do have the injectors tested.

2003 RC
1988 FZR1000R
2013 YZ-450f
1974 Yamaha RD350
1971 Honda CB500
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Cool It Runs! It Runs! It Runs! THANK YOU

From the title you can deduce success. I will give you the story:

1. I checked for power at the injectors: None
2. I looked at the Power Commander (PC) and noted no lights turned on. I never looked at it but noticed green lights apparently indicating the speed of something. (I don't have a manual for the PC but will soon get one.)
3. I traced the wiring harness of the PC and found a small (about 20 gauge) ground wire adrift with a copper colored spade. I don't know where it was attached but I connected to the ground of the battery.
4. Turned the key on, fuel pump primed, green light on the PC, Nickey started!

I ran it up to temperature as I just replaced the coolant with Engine Ice. Obviously I am happy!

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this post and all the people who previously had this problem as I was able to study their troubleshooting. I hope I can contribute to others in this RC51 forum some way.

Again THANK YOU!

KRR

PS RC51s sure sound sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode