cluster wont come on but bike still starts - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
cluster wont come on but bike still starts

I was trying to clean up the rear of the bike from where previous owner hacked at the factory undertail with a sawzawl. The bike came with a chinese knock off of the hotbody undertail and i finally went to install it.

While wiring the tail lights i heard a click, paid no mind and kept going. Went to turn the key and look at the tails and nothing happens, no tail lights and now no cluster.

Bike primes cranks etc, but nothing on the dash, just blank. I start going through the fuses and i find one for odometer on the left side of the bike. Pull the fuse and it crumbles, leaving a prong in the fuse box. I eventually get the broken off prong out and replace the #10 fuse but still no gauges at all.

I havent bothered figuring out the tail lights yet but it prolly had to do with how the previous owner extended the wires for whatever reason and the colored wires didnt match anymore.

What else can i check or do for the gauge cluster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

No ideas?

Ide hate for the cluster to be burnt up. Replacements with similar miles are rediculously priced....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hooch, not providing a lot of data to go on.

So you replaced the fuse, then what? For example, did it blow immediately? Are the tail lights working now?

Just guessing but both times I have seen this it was due "cleaning up" the tail section and creating intermittent grounding, due sloppy wire work-which takes out the fuse, dash (except indicator lights),and tail lights.

With a meter and a bit of skill you can ring the wiring out quickly. Otherwise it's quite a bit slower.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

ive been struggling to find time to mess with this thing lately.

I have the tails wired up correctly now but they still aren't coming on. I also took a test light to the plug that goes in the back of the cluster and it shows that there is power going to the cluster. I also opened the back of it up to look for burnt out areas on the circuit board but found nothing. I`ve tried to find a shoty ground but havnt had any luck. The fuse i put in is still good, i`m not even sure if thats what pop/clicked that day. The broken one i removed never looked burnt up just old and corroded. Ive done my best to clean out that fuse box and made sure nothing was loose running into it.

I tried asking someone else with an RC from the local area if i could plug my cluster into their bike or vis versa but they just outright said NO and nothing else...i`m going to have to go out and buy another multi meter, mines seems to have up and disappeared.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
How did the other fuses look? There is a fuse for the tail lights and gauge, it is separate from the ODO fuse.
If that fuse is blown, I would start with looking for a short in the power wire for the tail and gauge, it should be the Bl/Br wire in the tail and it also goes the gauge.

the tail light wires are:
Lb -- right flasher
O-- left flasher
G-- ground
Bl/Br--tail and plate lights
G/Y-- brake lights
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

I finally went in and cleaned the contacts on the inside of the fuse box with a small curved dental style pick this time and it started working. A fuse did get popped, an i did replace it but the new one wasn`t making good contact. I cleaned it before an it didn`t help either, maybe something going on with the fuse box itself an i just wiggled it back into a working position on the second try?

Simple crap that holds me up every time.

Anyways, i have new, unrelated an equally perplexing issues to deal with now. Hopefully i`ll sort them out and not have to make a thread about it. I`de like to one day make a thread that isn`t "hey look what`s wrong now"

Last edited by Hooch; 05-22-2016 at 04:04 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Are you checking the fuses behind the left side fairing? My buddy had this exact problem. New tail lights and cluster wasnt working. Changed the fuse behind the fairing and it was all good

2006 RC 51 #00064
2008 HD 1200XLN Blacked Out
2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
2014 Great Dane that drags me down the street
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Yea thats them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode