SP1 rear brake caliper - cross threaded - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SP1 rear brake caliper - cross threaded

I am getting into general maintenance and ran into a problem when changing rear brake pads. Previous owner cross threated the upper right bolt. Rather than getting another caliper, i am thinking about trying to tap the hole. I know its an M12 but does anyone know the thread pitch by chance. Having trouble finding metric taps anyway, but I want to make sure I get the right size. I know 1.5 is way too big so im thinking its 12x1.0, but i dont have a guide handy to verify.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Just measure the pitch on the bolt- count ten threads and divide the distance between peaks by ten. It gives a surprisingly accurate result.

It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
If it's M12 size, it's probably 1.25 pitch as I don't recall ever having to repair an M12 x 1.0 thread or find a bolt for one on a japanese car (Bikes tend to use the same thread pitches as Japanese cars) but I haven't measured, just a guess. Get the M12 taps (1.0 & 1.25) you think it might be and one will fit anyways. Good to have these things in a tool box for future possible use.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.

Last edited by The Stig; 04-21-2016 at 09:15 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
M12 X 1,25 is common
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 06:39 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
i have another SP1 rear caliper bracket if thats easier, PM me ill let it go cheap.

just swap it on

2003 SP2: Everything I could find.
1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
Dec. 2011&2013, Sep. 2015, May 2019 BOTM
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks everyone. I was considering just swapping it, and probably should have, but being stubborn I went out and bought a thread repair kit. The thread was too damaged to get it back. I have no idea how the thing was on there in the first place. My guess is an airwrench and a few beers to ignore how bad it was. I was so excited for this bike that I bought it without really looking at some of the finer details. I can live with the scratches here and there, cracks, etc. But man, some people just don't take their time when working with modifications. LUCKILY, they had the sense to get a full Akropovic exhaust. It's honestly what sold me on the bike.

Anyway, the bold ended up being 12x1.25. Unfortunately, living in this crazy standard world of America, the only Metric kits I could find had 12x1.75 or 12x1.50. I ended up just getting a thread repair kit, drilled out the hole, and put new threads in. It was amazing how well that thing worked and how quick it was. Forced me to change my brake fluid anyway. I didn't actually get to it until 11pm, and in the interest of not waking up my neighbors kids, I didn't get a chance to test the brakes, but as far as I can tell, I should be in business.

Thanks for all the help and RC, thanks for the offer. Now, if someone has any SP1 bodywork...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode