Underslung caliper- brake line question - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Underslung caliper- brake line question

Hi Guys,

I have just fitted an underslung caliper to the SP2 (Thanks to SBK Drew!!), Im looking to secure the brake line against the bottom of the swingarm.. I'm loathed to drill the arm but if needs must in the absence of any non invasive suggestions?

If I have to drill the arm, what/how do you recommend the best way of doing it, some sort of captive threaded insert?

Thanks in advance

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
you can use the same rubber nutserts (wellnut) like the ones used on the bodywork, the lowers to the upper.
Some hardware stores carry the stanadrad thread ones but not metric. Go with something like a m5 size screw insert and drill a hole accordingly...Measure twice, drill once, no worries...I'm doing the same to install a foot/chain guard....
MJay likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
i just ran a self tapping screw into the bottom of mine. that way i have a 1/8th hole instead of a 3/8s hole. i don't think anything fixed with adhesive would stand the test of time under there.
MJay likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 06:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
Clean the inside of the swing arm good with some alcohol and use a sticky back with a tyrap . works great that what I did on mine , No extra holes
MJay likes this.

Growing old is mandatory , Growing up is Optional
BOTM / April 2014 , October 2016
Clint / 2000 RC51 #414
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 06:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
For xtra stickiness run a heat gun over the metal just a touch and then apply the sticky back and let it sit an hour before cinching up the brakeline with a tyrap , and leave a little slack for movement of the swingarm
MJay likes this.

Growing old is mandatory , Growing up is Optional
BOTM / April 2014 , October 2016
Clint / 2000 RC51 #414

Last edited by CapeCodderRC; 04-25-2016 at 06:43 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks for the answers guys, I am going to try the adhesive route first, I have some very powerful sticky pads to use firstly, if that fails then I will go down the drilling route.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
I used two black zip ties and it works flawlessly. Cheap, simple, done.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I made a simple bracket out of some scrap aluminium - which screws together with one of the tabs for the hugger onto the swing arm. Zip ties hold the hose onto the bracket. No drilling required & it's invisible too.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
I think his intent is to run the line below like I did, not above like the others have
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 09:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I don't know why anyone would want to run it underneath, since the m/c comes out at the top of the arm, but each to his own. Mine just goes directly through the hugger, then diagonally down and to the m/c.

Here's a few older pics, with the bike before I fitted some billet Brembos.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode