overheating - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
overheating

Hi Guys

Well I finally got the bike through the roadworthy and licence and registration done, went to Dubai for the weekend (Friday and Saturday here)
Small problem.................. 3 laps of not too fast riding and it is up at 267 degrees farenheit and the little red light comes on. End of fun!

My question is .......... has anyone had any experience with this waterless coolant?

I saw it on a programme on TV last week where they drained the cooling system on a vehicle and replaced the coolant with this magical waterless coolant. It stopped the vehicle running hot and allowed the removal of the radiator cap at operating temperature,

Would this assist my issue or should I be looking at the front rad mod?

Would appreciate any comments.

Regards
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 02:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I just did a trackday using Evans waterless coolant. The outside temp was in the 60s so this may not be the best test. I normally exit the track somewhere around 230f. Yesterday I never say above 200f.

We are supposed to do a street ride tomorrow. I will let you know how that goes

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to say the outside temp was 40 degrees centigrade, I think that is 84,8 farenheit. ............

It's hot in any language!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
40c is 104f

that's really really hot. if you're going to be riding in situations like that often you should definitely look into a set of rad scoops at the very least.
Rob H likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
40c is 104f

that's really really hot. if you're going to be riding in situations like that often you should definitely look into a set of rad scoops at the very least.
I have a feeling that I will be doing that, just need some info from people with some experience. It definatly runs a lot hotter than the Fireblade. Today I spoke to the tech rep from Evans coolant, he says that it will not necessarily make the engine run cooler but will just stop turning coolant to steam and therefore eliminating air spaces in the cooling system.

I am going to have to give this some thought, my initial testing did or reveal any problems but it is difficult to reproduce track conditions on the road. It's generally always either hot or [email protected] hot here. Not much in-between........

Anyway, would appreciate some advice if anyone has any.

Rob
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob H View Post
I have a feeling that I will be doing that, just need some info from people with some experience. It definatly runs a lot hotter than the Fireblade. Today I spoke to the tech rep from Evans coolant, he says that it will not necessarily make the engine run cooler but will just stop turning coolant to steam and therefore eliminating air spaces in the cooling system.

I am going to have to give this some thought, my initial testing did or reveal any problems but it is difficult to reproduce track conditions on the road. It's generally always either hot or [email protected] hot here. Not much in-between........

Anyway, would appreciate some advice if anyone has any.

Rob
As stated by the Evans rep, the waterless coolant will prevent any localized steam bubbles from forming, and therefore increases the cooling efficiency.
The chief reason to use the waterless coolant is corrosion prevention caused by water.

Additives to water based coolant are there to buffer the pH and lower the freeze point. These additives fall out of solution over time with your coolant gradually becoming more corrosive, which is why you should flush and change out your coolant every 2 years.

Additionally, your cooling system has to be pressurized to raise the boiling point of water.

The waterless coolant has a boiling point of 375 F (190 C) and a freeze point of -40 F (-40 C) without the need for a pressurized system.
And obviously, without any water, there is no corrosion issues.
The upshot of this is a coolant good for the life of the engine or cooling system.

I checked into this a while back and talked with (and met) the Evans rep at AIMExpo in Orlando back in 2014.
I decided that was the way to go, and I have 2 x 1/2 gallon jugs pegged for my RC51.
Rob H likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I recently looked into waterless coolants (non-aqueous) like “Evans” and this is what I found. It is pricey, it will last for decades, all old fluids must be completely drained, it's boiling point is over 300 degrees so it should be easier on the cooling system, however it does not conduct heat as well as water or a 50/50 mix of water and ethylene glycol. I believe the viscosity of waterless coolants has something to do with this. Make sure the radiator cap, thermostat, fans and radiators are in good order. I have been told first hand of how well the scoops work – pm duckhunter.
Rob H likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbly View Post
40c is 104f

In Texas we just call that summer.

But seriously as a long time RC owner in Texas and back before wibby large SPAL fan mounts and the rad scoops. The thing that unquestionable worked best is pure water, i use Distilled water, and one of the water wetter products i believe redline at the moment i rarely see about 200-202 F then the fans come on and drop it back down to 190 then shut off. My FZR"1000" is notorious for getting hot and when i switched it dropped down 10-15 degrees F. Yeah of course don't use it below freezing but it works. Except on by buell xb12r. It just starts pinging then melts your boys off......

2003 RC
1988 FZR1000R
2013 YZ-450f
1974 Yamaha RD350
1971 Honda CB500

Last edited by KoleDeRacer; 05-02-2016 at 04:52 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
At 267° degrees I would be absolutely amazed if you didn't either warp the head or blow a headgasket.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
At 267° degrees I would be absolutely amazed if you didn't either warp the head or blow a headgasket.
1+ that is getting up there.

2003 RC
1988 FZR1000R
2013 YZ-450f
1974 Yamaha RD350
1971 Honda CB500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode